The Volcano Erupts


Advertisement
Published: July 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we went right up to the Nicaragua border for a boat trip around the Cano Negro wildlife reserve. Our guide Alcides lived up to his tribal name of "white hawk" by spotting a huge variety of wildlife for us, from Cayman, basilisk and turtle to egrets, roseate spoonbills and brilliant blue kingfishers. At one point we dived into a bush where he had spotted a little row of resting bats on a branch. Later we saw squirrel monkeys, white faced capuchins and sloths and then a group of howler monkeys quite close. The sound of the boat set them off with their loud calls just over our heads. When we reached the border we all got out and walked up the bank for a photo shoot of us with one foot in each country. After another good lunch of rice and chicken we headed back to La Fortuna, stopping on the way to see a tree crowded with iguanas. Dinner in the hotel was again excellent and the manager came out to serenade us with his guitar, but not before Oliver had shown his prowess, playing for the whole restaurant. This musical interlude was interrupted in spectacular fashion when the volcano gave a huge rumble. Everyone rushed out to the viewing balcony to see a large puff of dark gases escape followed by a glowing stream of lava. The air smelt quite sulphurous for a while. This led to much excitement, especially for a group of Americans who put the howler monkeys to shame with their calls; quite how they expect flash photos of a dark mountain a mile off to come out remains a mystery to us all.
Tomorrow we go to the hanging bridge trail, some apparently 30 - 40 metres up, followed by a visit to the hot springs and spa for a swim.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



17th July 2010

Hi to all from Kevry, Mevry & Nevry
Hi Costa Crew! Wow what a fantastic trip you are all having!! So varied and interesting. Keep up the good work with the blogs and the superb photos as it is great to follow your progress. Pls tell Jevry that Kevry's sinus lift and Mevry's knee op have both gone well and Nevry is very bored and jealous of you!!!
19th July 2010

Missing you!
Hey sounds like you all are having a great time! so jealous! Abi i miss u heaps and love the photos! Keep in touch! miss you!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb