Volcanos, Spiders and Zip-lines, oh my!


Advertisement
Published: July 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we left Jinetes de Osa. We took a cab back to the Drake Bay airport, but this time it was a truck, not a tractor. Our flight was pretty quick and we were back in San Jose after a quick stop in Puerto Jimenez. This time we sat right at the front of the plane so we got to watch the pilots fly. It was really neat. When we arrived in San Jose we were met by the car rental company. We filled out our paperwork and were on our way to Arenal.

The drive from San Jose to the volcano was mostly on a very narrow, very windy, very hilly road through the Costa Rican countryside. It was a bit nerve wracking when we passed trucks going the other way, but we got here in one piece. As we got closer to town, we got our first glimpse of the volcano. It is spectacular.

Last night we stayed at Arenal Observatory Lodge in a room with a beautiful back patio with a view of the volcano. One of the most amazing things is being able to hear volcanic rocks rolling down the side of Arenal. It sounds sort of like thunder. When we went to bed, we still hadn't seen any lava, but our bed had a view of the volcano as well. Twice in the middle of the night we were lucky enough to wake up at just the right moment! We watched in awe as bright red lava poured down the side of the mountain.

This morning we got up and headed out to Sky Trek to go zip-lining! It was absolutely unbelievably fantastic and Amy was extremely brave. She overcame her immense fear of heights and told the guide to let go as she hung suspended from the wire. When we were up on the top platform, before we started, I looked down at my arm to find a HUGE spider! I waited until we managed to capture it on film as I asked the guides if it was poisonous. They didn't seem to know, so it seemed prudent to get rid of it.

We are now off to relax in the famous hotsprings of La Fortuna. We have one more night at Arenal Observatory Lodge and tomorrow we are off to Monteverde.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



2nd July 2010

Way to go Amy!!!!!!! Kerrington is very proud of you. As for the creapy huge spider on Adam, all I have to say is ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!! Live reading your entries. We check every day for them!!!! Love jen and her little monkey

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb