The Heat of Belize


Advertisement
Published: April 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to BelizeWelcome to BelizeWelcome to Belize

The sign says it all.
Belize is a hot place! We have packed our warm clothes in the bottom of our backpack, and will be living in shorts and tshirts from now on.

We have spent a total of 6 days in Belize, and the first thing we noticed when crossing the border from Guatemala, is they speak Reggae! Well its actually English. "Hey mon, how ya doing mon". Bob Marley is god over here, every second man has dreads, and there is no one is in a hurry to do anything - what a great place to have a relaxing holiday...but not for us.

Our first two days were in the inland town of San Ignacio. Our base for river activities including tubing down a river with small rapids watching giant iguanas in the trees, and cave canoeing, where we went in 3 canoes into a cave complete with (well placed) mayan artifacts. No photos here (Digital SLR's and water are not a good combination!)

Our last three days have been in Caye Caulker, an island paradise about 75 mins off the coast of Belize in the Carribean. Awesome place. Here we have been snorkling off a sailboat (called the Raggamuffin), playing
Waiting for the bus.Waiting for the bus.Waiting for the bus.

Sonia all loaded up waiting for the bus to arrive.
volleyball on the beach, eating BBQ seafood and drinking plenty of rum (it's cheap here - same price as Coca-Cola).

Sonia decided hiring a canoe could be a good way to spend an afternoon. 'Let's canoe around the island' she says. Off we go into the turquoise waters of the Carribean. 15 mins in, my arms are getting sore, 'C'mon' keep paddling' yells Drill Sergeant Sonia from the front of the boat.

TWO HOURS LATER, we finally get all the way around the island, both of us are completly exhausted, but we both feel like we have achieved something. Was a great afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Caye CaulkerCaye Caulker
Caye Caulker

An island paradise in the middle of the Caribbean, and we canoed around it!
Beach volleyball.Beach volleyball.
Beach volleyball.

The locals had no idea what these strange white folk were doing, but enjoyed watching.
Swimming with sharksSwimming with sharks
Swimming with sharks

The snorkilng trip was great, got to jump in the water with these friendly sharks
Yum.Yum.
Yum.

Pineapple filled with rum and coconut.
Typical sunset.Typical sunset.
Typical sunset.

A typical caribbean sunset.
More hot sauce.More hot sauce.
More hot sauce.

Little known fact, Belize makes some of the hottest sauce in the world! I couldn´t help but buy the collection. The hotter ones have warnings such as ´Keep out of reach of children´, ´Do not play tricks with the weak or elderly´ and ´Comatose level of hotness´.


16th April 2008

Spiders and sauce..
Glad you got to play with spiders Roger.. Hope you let them climb over you as well. Can see that a few people you work with will covet your spicy sauces.. And it's great to see Sonia and yourself looking so happy and relaxed...
19th April 2008

No spiders for me.
Did not let the spider crawl on me, apparently they make you itch (as the guy later found out!)

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb