Dangriga


Advertisement
Belize's flag
Central America Caribbean » Belize
December 23rd 2005
Published: December 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=U9wcJ504hS8]
Punta
Dangriga home of the Garifuna people. The Garifuna are ethnically descended from Amerindian and African people; their language is a dialect of the native Brazilian language family Arawakan. The British colonial administration invented the term Black Carib under which the Garifuna went before they came to the Island of Roatán and eventually the Honduras mainland.

Freedom is what I felt when I cupped my hands for the experience at Y's Farm. The people, so proud of their heritage, so charming and pleasantly mannered, and very hospitable and clean and relaxed in there ways. I think everyone there is a born chef. Fresh fish, beans andd fryjacks in the morning. What a way to greet the day. Breakfast, Lunch and Tea were always on time. The children and their good manners. Even the toughest kids around adults would break their necks to say "Good night miss" good morning miss."
Some of the locals would even come by our place to offer assistance around town to visit with local spots.
We visited Tobacco Caye, absolutely marvelous. I had never seen such beautiful clear water. I messed up and didn't bring swimming shoes for those rocks, OUCH!!!SPLASH!!!! Down She Went.
Tobacco Caye is a pretty palm-fringed island thats excellent for snorkelling. Hammocks, for the napper, you better bring a lunch, food is brought in for those staying over night and the price is up there. The Blue Hole This sinkhole is about 24 feet deep. The water in the sinkhole comes from an underground stream that flows into an underground cavern. A swim in the hole is a lovely way to cool off on those hot days. I didn't because our (local) guide didn't tell us that we were going there nor did he tell me that we were going hiking, so not only did I not go swimming but I had to climb hills with sandals on, but it was still a wonder to see...She's a trooper!!
Hopkins It' nice for the beach lovers and for those who are more laid back and just want to sit under a tree and drift into punta land. Don't stand on the patchy grass too long. You may get attacked by ant communities. Yes it hurts, I was there.. Doh!
There is not much to do in Hopkins except hang out at the beach, eat, drink, rest and enjoy the Garifuna culture.
More too come...Yes, No worries.
Visited Countries Map




Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb