First stop, Trek Stop, Belize


Advertisement
Published: March 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Trek Stop, BelizeTrek Stop, BelizeTrek Stop, Belize

Another Jungle cabin for us, and another big spider inside!
After crossing the border and getting the usual stamps in the Passport, we made our way by taxi to our next base.

The Trek Stop is 15 minutes from the border, and close to the town of San Ignacio ( 10 mins on bus ). This is apparently a very popular place for travellers. The Trek Stop consists of wooden chalets for its guests, in the forest, where the Owners who run and work on the site, John and Judy, a fantastic couple nearing their 70's, have set up a facsinating musuem on wildlife. There is the odd lizard and birds around, a pet tarantula ( to my horror! ), and other forms of wildlife and plants. For the toilets ( Banos ), instead of any water, you use wood chippings after you! A unique experience. If you have ever been to the Glastonbury festival, or other music festivals, the toilets are just like like, but with wood chippings!!!

There is also a frisbee golf course, 9 holes!!! Yep, you use frisbees and throw to each hole, with a par for each one, through the forest, and great fun!!!

We settled in to our cabins that night, and it happened again, another giant spider in my room. After running around the camp site screaming in the dark, I composed myself, and found my mate who was in hysterics, tried to catch it, but lost it in our room, so no sleep again that night!! Well it was really hot too!

The next morning ( Monday 28th ), I booked an excursion to visit one of Belizes many Mayan caves. We drove across a site where Oranges are grown and exported to the U.K ( 90% of Oranges are from this site I was told in the U.K ), tree after tree for 3.5 acres. The rive was an hour, and then we reached the area of Barton Creek Cave. By Kayak we rowed up the river to the cave entrance, which is 30ft or so high, and in to the cave. The cave houses Mayan potteries, and even human bones. They would use these caves for sacrifices and rituals. We went as far in to the cave as possible, and there are bats flying around. The only light is powered by torches we are given, the power coming from a car battery. It was interesting and lasted around an hour, but there were many school children which took a liitle bit off the trip, as they didnĀ“t seem that interested.

Back to the Trek Stop for lunch, and some Oranges picked from the farm on the way back! That afternoon I caught the bus in to San Ignacio, my mission, to recover my lost camera!! I had arranged for it to be sent here, hoping it would get to me on time, and it did, just about!!! Miracle that I had it back, and with all my pictures all in tact!!

After a celebratory meal that night, and a few pictures back at camp, I slept better in our cabin that night. The next day was another journey, this time to paradise!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0937s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb