Out of Belize City and into San Ignacio - Day 2


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Belize CityBelize CityBelize City

on the sea at the Princess Casino, following a Belikin beer

Day 2: San Ignacio


This morning we got up and planned on taking the bus to San Ignacio. I (Sean) locked the key in the room, which deserves no further mention, but the folks at the Bayview were kind enough to find a spare key and take us to the bus station. When we got to the station a man asked where we were going. I replied "San Ignacio" and he immediately took our bags and put them on a bus which was pulling out of the station. We tried to give bus fare (though we didn't know the amount) to three people before just getting on the bus, later to find out the conductor collects fares while the bus is in motion. Boarding the bus was a bit like 5th grade in that it was possibly the exact same school bus I rode in 5th grade and everyone sat at the aisle as we approached so we wouldn't sit down next to them. The ridership was fairly fluid, with people getting off and on the bus all along the highway, so we were able to sit together after 10 minutes or so. The ride to san Ignacio was pretty cool - going from the coast up into the jungle with a stop in Belmopan (the capitol) and passengers from all walks of life. At Belmopan a couple from Toronto that were backpacking sat in front of us. While waiting at the station kids and some men got onto the bus to sell tamales, soda, newspapers and water. One gentleman selling peanuts came towards the back of the bus to the white Canadian guy in front of us and said "C'mon cracker, want some peanuts?!" It felt like we were in a Dave Chappelle skit. We had a good giggle and an hour or so later were in San Ignacio. The ride was about 3 horus total, with many stops along the way, and cost $3.50US each. We didn't have much of a choice - being loaded from the car onto the bus - but taking the local bus was definitely a good experience.

It appears that a lot of people close and go to lunch between noon and 1...2... maybe 3pm and after getting here at 12 we waited a bit at the Casa Blanca Hotel before getting directions to the TropiCool Hotel a little down the street. It's
San IgnacioSan IgnacioSan Ignacio

At lunch at Martha´s Guest House. great little patio.
a cute little place with basic, clean rooms that have ceiling fans. (For travelers, it is $14 for a double w/shared, $28US for one with private bath.) The owner/guy at the front desk was very friendly and helpful, offering directions and recommendations for Flores/Tikal through a thick British accent. Sitting on the bed under the ceiling fan with a Belikin (the beer of Belize) is quite a lovely time.

It was warm and humid but there was a pretty strong and constant offshore breeze in Belize City yesterday. Here in San Ignacio it is humid and probably 80 degrees or so, with a light breeze now and again. Very comfortable when the breeze is blowing.

We had lunch at Martha's Guest House this afternoon (nothing spectacular but they have a nice patio and we'd recommend it) and plan to do dinner this evening at Hanna's (highly recommended by other travelblog.org posters).

The plan for tomorrow is to head west across the border into Guatemala and stay at El Remate, with a Tikal visit likely on Thursday.

Apologize for no pictures - we haven't taken too many thus far (see previous entry about being in Belize City)
San IgnacioSan IgnacioSan Ignacio

Belikin Beer
but forgot the cord to the camera in the room and will be sure to upload pictures soon. And yes, we're still laughing about the cracker comment on the bus!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

San IgnacioSan Ignacio
San Ignacio

in our room at the Tropicool Hotel
San IgnacioSan Ignacio
San Ignacio

our room


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb