Drinks at the food court. Drinks by the pool


Advertisement
Published: March 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Judging by the title you probably think all we do in Belize is drink. While that happens from time to time, it's only a small part of the whole experience. this is our 5th trip here. We've been coming each year since 2009. During that time, we've learned a lot about this country and its people and we want to share our experience.

We are not seasoned travellers by any means. You really can't be considered seasoned if you only get to do it once a year and you really only go to one place. But I guess that going to one place has allowed us to build up enough experience to talk about it with some amount of confidence.

First you have to get there. Depending on where you live, you can get there by flying direct or with a layover. We fly from Calgary so we have one layover in Houston. If you take the early morning flight which departs around 6:30 am (I know, it's really early) you will arrive in Houston around 11:00 am and only have to spend a couple hours there. if you don't mind over nighting it in airports you can take a later flight and arrive in Houston and spend the night there, but the airport is very uncomfortable. No place to stretch out except the floor and everything is closed. You can't buy a bottle of water after 10:00 pm. The flight to Belize from Houston is about 2 hours. If you are going to the cayes you can get there via water taxi which is 45 minutes or you can fly with their airline Tropic Air, which takes about 10 minute. I recommend the Express water taxi. It's cheaper and a way better experience!

It's our first day in so we are going to work on "going slow" which is the Caye Caulker motto. More to come!

Advertisement



16th March 2013

Kid-friendly?
Looks nice! Is Belize kid friendly? Are there any all-inclusive resorts in Belize yet?
16th March 2013

Hi Sean, There are no all inclusives on Caye Caulker. There are resorts in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye and there are some really nice resorts on the mainland around Placecia Bay and San Ignacio if you are interested in some jungle adventure. I'm not too sure about all inclusives. If there are any they will be on Ambergris Caye. We see more families with small children every year. Caye Caulker is a small island so children might get restless after a few days, but getting to the mainland and other islands is quite easy and there is tons to do from Mayan ruins, to hiking, to cave tubing and even zip lining. There is also the Belize zoo. We have not visited it yet but intend to on this trip.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 5; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb