HarrySmith Great House and Crane Beach


Advertisement
Barbados' flag
Central America Caribbean » Barbados
August 10th 2007
Published: August 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post


We went to look at some of the local shops at the Pelican Craft Centre. Great set of shops but very very hot so we drove from there to HarrySmith Beach which is very off the beaten track. The drive was not a good one as we had decided to go via Bridgetown and "Cath Cath" was irritated with the volume of traffic and we didnt help by giving her bad information. However after the longest journey of our time on Barbados we arrived at the Harry Smith Great House. This great house then became a hotel and is now a ruin which you can explore (so we did). The house would have been superb with incredible views out to sea, the beach is OK but has a reef 20 or 30 feet out which makes it quite dangerous so we didnt swim just dipped our feet/legs in! Christopher met a jelly fish which had quite a nasty sting - but a touch of scratch cream calmed it down.

We also looked at Foul Bay which was very nice but also not really suitable for bodyboarding so we went back to Crane beach which has this great onshore current. Matthews ears were still hurting so we tried putting some ear plugs in but he soon lost those. Maybe we should have worn them?

As it got dark we left the Crane just as it threw it down and headed back to the villa. The kids just wanted "burgers" for tea so we headed to the Lucky Horseshoe and ate there. The kids like it because its large portions and when they forgot our extra portion of fries they brought them without charging and gave us an extra round of drinks for free! Christopher said why didn't we request a bottle of champagne...

Back home the kids watched Rush Hour before going to a very late bed. One daughter however was still reading at 1.30 now who could that be?


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 68; dbt: 0.145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb