The Bahamas


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Spotted TrunkfishSpotted TrunkfishSpotted Trunkfish

Jimmy tries out his new underwater camera off Conception Island.
We've been traveling through the Bahamas since late March. We have sailed in the most shallow water here than anywhere else, but is crystal clear beautiful water in various shades of blue and green. Since the water is so shallow I have spent alot more time than usual standing on the coachroof and picking out reefs, rocks, and hazards as we approach harbors.

We approached the Bahamas from the south after leaving Puerto Rico and the Turks and Caicos Islands. Our first stop in the Bahamas was Mayaguana where we got a good lesson in keeping up the the times of high and low tides. We haven't had to pay much attention to tides before because the water we have been sailing in has for the most part been deep water. In Mayaguana we couldn't even get the dinghy all the way to shore to check in with customs because the tide was out. I ended up staying with the dinghy in water about 1 foot deep while Jimmy checked us in with customs and immigration.

We visited several islands (Acklins, Crooked, Long, Rum, and Conception) before we reached Georgetown, Exuma where we spent 3 weeks. There were about
Bahamian made sloopBahamian made sloopBahamian made sloop

Notice the oversized sail and boom.
200 sailboats in Georgetown and alot of activities going on so it was nice to be around other cruisers again and enjoy the social life that always crops up when alot of crusiers get together. Jimmy participated as crew in the Family Island Regatta and got a good taste of sailboat racing Bahamian style.

After Georgetown we traveled north through the Exuma chain of islands and then to Nassau, New Providence. We are now in Governor's Harbor, Eleuthera and starting to work our way south after 2 months of going north because it won't be long before hurricane seaon will be upon us again. We plan to head south through the Bahamas then sail through the Windward Passage (between Haiti and Cuba) to reach Jamaica. After a short time in Jamaica we will head to Panama for hurricane season.


Love to all,

Donna


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb