DAY FOUR (part one): DISASTER #1


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas » Nassau » Bahamas
March 30th 2008
Published: March 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I spent part of yesterday evening taking photos of the 3-hotel complex in which I’m staying, which seems to be in a state of semi-repair, a bit shabby but not that bothered about it, like a grandma who insists on dressing up as a showgirl. There’s no actual repair work going on, but there needs to be. My room has a sea view, about an inch of sea view between two of the other great towers in our part of the complex, and right down from my balcony is the outlet of the hotel’s air-con and also the entrance for all the dumpster trucks. The elevator in my tower is glass, and runs up the inside of a kind of cloister around which the tower is constructed. I post here a photo looking down into the cloister. I mean, could they not have made SOME effort?

Back in my room I downloaded the hotel photos, then realized I had no images if the Crystal Palace Casino, which is underneath the hotel complex, and the big draw in these parts. So I went back down there and started snapping, only to be told I couldn’t. I turned off the flash and wandered further into the casino. About halfway down the gaming area, I stopped for a drink at the Junkanoo Bar (advertised on the hotel’s TV channel as having a ‘distinctively bohemian milieu’, a claim which I can absolutely refute). The bar is in the casino itself, and nearby a large crowd had gathered around a craps table. A blond and very trim-looking 50 year old lady called Densi (Densy? Is this a name?) was playing, along with a man who was shouting everything instead of talking, and this included innuendos about what he and Densi were going to get up to if they won. They were winning, I think, although most people were crowding in not to see them winning but to hear the banter; craps, after all, is essentially a simpleton’s game of bare chance. Densi, though, was on a streak.

I paid for my drink and went down to watch. I was only there a minute. Several people pushed in behind me, and I side-stepped them. It all happened very quickly. I moved off and instinctively checked my wallet and my notebook. A moment later I realized the camera was gone. It might not have been at the craps table. I don’t know. It might have been earlier, at the bar. I asked, and looked around. If by any chance you are reading this travel blog and have seen a Panasonic Lumix DMC anywhere, please drop it into the reception area.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb