The Aftermath


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

BAM!BAM!BAM!

Check out the rudder and mass of barnacles on the propellor
Now that Nautilus was up on stilts, repair work could begin on the rudder, and among the crew. The foam underneath the fiberglass shell buffered the impact from the metal skeleton of the actual rudder. The fiberglass only had to be replaced. Of course, removing the boat meant that several other projects could be started, including scrubbing the algae and grime off the hull, grinding the barnacles off the propellor, buffing the sides and fixing the depth guage once and for all. (The GPS has depth-finding capabilities, too.) We would be up in the air for at least several days.
As for the crew, Treva and Franzi hired a car and a room in a hotel in Freeport proper. They needed to rethink things, as well as run some errands. Mau, Captain and I stayed to clean. After three days of work on the hull, we relaunched her the morning of Saturday the 31st. This time, the operation ran smoothly without any difficulties.
We reconvened for New Year's, preparing a fine dinner amongst our fellow travelers from Unforgettable and Blue Sky. There was music, fine food, dancing and even a little romance between Franzi and Joseph. I played the role of
Cleaning NautilusCleaning NautilusCleaning Nautilus

A moment of fun...
DJ and timekeeper, watching the second hand on Mau's laptop. Whatever works!
The 1st was wasted, as is often the case. The 2nd, it was decided that Franzi would return to Miami to finish what is after all her vacation. "It was so much fun though!" she told us. She couldn't imagine a more random vacation. As for Treva, she decided to leave and return to the boat at a later time. I don't blame her.
As for us three, we'll continue without hesitation. Perhaps five people need managing, and three can handle it better on their own. Both Mau and I can work on our writing while the captain relaxes in his preferred fashion. The evenings should be quieter and the decisions will require less argumentation. As for direction, we're headed due south... unless we get hired to be in the third installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean saga!

Before parting, there was time to take in some Bahamian ethos, namely in the form of Junkanoo. It's a carnavalesque procession with floats and brass musicians and, of course, drums. I liken it to a rambunctious high school marching band when the students can do and play what
A New LookA New LookA New Look

Decided to simplify things...
they really want to do and play. Only, the Bahamians dance a lot better, put much more effort into their costumes and floats than our apathetic counterparts, and DAMN, that rhythm! It seeps up on you faintly from behind each float, gradually getting louder so that your foot starts moving, then your landlocked knees and then those sea hips. By the time the float arrives at your face, the tattoo is so penetrating that you're gesticulating in all directions to an eternal rhythm that resurfaces only at certain times in the revelries of civilization. It's a constant beat, a pulse that rages through us only when we're not looking. I know it emanates from Africa. I've felt Fela's afrobeat, the Brazilian carnaval vibes, and the Cuban concussion percussion of Tito. Remnants echo throughout and remind you what you're missing out on. It is this beat that I now encounter at the threshold between the US and the rest, and it is this beat that I'll follow in this next episode and throughout this trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



4th January 2006

Chris-to-pher!
You look so cute with a shaved head! Sounds like things are going well - I think you're right that it will be easier to manage with 3 as opposed to 5. Looked like you had a fun New Year's. Enjoy working on your writing and keep me updated on all your adventures! Miss you...
4th January 2006

I think you write in French from time to time-.

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb