Leaving West End


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We've spent a little too much time here at Old Bahama Bay Marina, idling amongst the wealthy. The rest was welcome from the rough crossing, but the only thing to do here is while away dollars and show off your diamonds and your $1.50 boobjob. The locals can barely hide their smirk in the face of it all; they can play this game. They even have a patois so that the USers don't understand. These are the weekend jetsetters from Florida escaping their family and financial problems just to show off their motorcraft's widescreen TV during the Packers-Cowboys game. No worries, they'll head back in the other direction soon enough.
As for us we're headed up through shallow waters to a few cays, where we'll anchor for a night, and then on to more cays with names like Green Turtle, Cat and Elbow. The winds have been too strong to sail (25 knots, 1 knot= 1.15mph), which I didn't think was possible. Tomorrow looks good though.
Unlikely to have Internet for a while. Fortunately.
Happy Boxing Day!


Advertisement



27th December 2005

Bank...
Yes, when you're sailing on the Bahama Bank with high winds you can get pushed aground easily. It can be hard to stay in the narrow channels cut through to various places. Must watch the tides and the charts carefully.
27th December 2005

Banks...
With a strong wind you could have a grounding experience with that Bahama Bank. Watch those tides and charts or your Nautilus can become more like the chambered type...sitting in the sand or on a reef! ANA

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb