Day 1 - The Flight


Advertisement
Asia
February 1st 2014
Published: February 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

February 1st, 2014





Day 1:



Today begins the start of our month long adventure in South East Asia. A return to the region where I was born, but a whole new experience being able to explore it with Erik. This trip has been over eight months in the making, and it is hard to believe that it is finally here. Admittedly, we were up until the the early hours of the morning packing, cleaning the condo and eating the remnants of the delicious birthday cake Birgitte made for Erik. Hendrix (our pup), definitely knew something was in the mix as soon as the suitcases were pulled out. Such peace of mind though knowing he is with Fi and Spencer who love him as much as us (thank you so much you guys)!

After Gary dropped us off at the airport the real excitement of the trip fully kicked in and even the prospect of the 18 hour journey ahead of us couldn't quell our excitement. We boarded our flight with China Southern Airlines, greeted by the beautiful stewardesses. For a moment they even managed to distract us from the fact that the seats in this plane were TINY! I watched Erik's eyes as we walked on past Business class heading towards the divider curtains that emphasize the fact that if you thought the seats looked minuscule, they were about to get even smaller. It took some skill, but Erik was able to contort his 6 foot 3 frame into seats that were small for me. With Erik, squeezed in on my left and another gentleman and lady to my right we took off into the sky.

I had accepted the fact that I was going to be sandwiched between erik and our fellow passenger for the next 15 hours when said fellow passenger suddenly got up and moved himself to a new seat. For a few moments I didn't know whether to be pleased or offended as I pondered the reason for his move. However, I settled on pleased as the new found space was worth it! The enjoyment of my new found space didn't last long though... the lady at the end of our row came to the realization that her television didn't work and quickly took possession of both seats. Back to where we started! The rest of the flight was fairly peaceful... the flight attendants sent some food flying down the aisle, an Indian gentleman almost burst into tears after realizing his preordered Hindu/vegetarian meal had some unknown meat in it and Erik managed to eat his meals with his head and knees literally crushed into the seat in front of him. Despite it all, the flight was really fun and we filled the hours chatting, playing games and watching Sherlock Holmes. However thing were about to change...

It was with two hours before landing that the flight attendants voice came over the intercom, "please, if there is a Doctor or nurse on board would they please report to a flight attendant immediately as a passenger is in need of assistance". I paused for about 20 seconds... the flight was full, there had to be another Doctor or nurse on board. Nobody moved and I slowly came to the realization that there was only me. I made my way the back of the plane and quickly spotted two flight attendants and an older gentleman all leaning over an Indian lady approximately in her seventies. I introduced myself and got down onto my knees. The lady was sweating profusely and felt cold to the touch. She was dressed in a huge coat and a sweater. I began taking her multiple layers off and asked for water. There was a language barrier, but I quickly knew something was very wrong as she was completely unable to hold my gaze when I asked her to look at me. I quickly started checking her neurological function and checking her pulses and respiratory rate. I had no stethoscope, oxygen monitor or blood pressure cuff. According to her husband she had no medical conditions and no prior history of any symptoms like the ones she was having. The only symptoms she had were dizziness, sweating, accompanied by a vacant far off look. I had no idea if she was suffering a pulmonary embolism, heart failure, a stroke, or had simply overheated. The vital signs I was able to collect were all in normal limits, she was oriented to person, place and time, and had no obvious signs of a stroke. However she was unable to focus her gaze at all and could not sit up unsupported. I focused on cooling her down, giving her fluids and continued to take her vitals every five minutes. Inside I was terrified that she might code. There was nobody else with any medical knowledge around and we were trapped in a flying vessel in the sky. I could be leading a code... something I have never done and something that I was praying would not happen.

It took around 30 minutes and the lady stopped sweating. She then said she needed the bathroom. I slowly sat her up and had her sit at the edge of her seat. I asked Erik and another gentleman to help assist me and the lady to the bathroom. She was wobbling, but we managed to to make it to the bathroom. I squeezed inside the tiny bathroom with her and helped her to sit down on the toilet. I continued to apply cool water to her face and neck and despite her weakness I could see her gaze was beginning to refocus. We eventually made it back to her seat and lay her back down. I had written down all the vitals and the assessments I had done. I went to the flight attendants and asked that there be a medical team waiting when we landed. They were all very kind and kept thanking me... although thank God I hadn't actually had to do anything! I returned to my seat and kept checking on the lady every 10 minutes. My heart was beating fast, it really was a scary experience, but Erik kept me calm. On my final check before landing the lady reached out and hugged me so tightly, as did her husband. We couldn't speak the same language, but that hug meant everything. In that moment I felt so happy to have chosen the career path I had and be able to provide care when I had to. When the plane touched down the lady was taken off the plane via wheelchair with my assessments written on a piece of cardboard. It was without a doubt the most eventful flight Erik and I have ever had!

Our next flight into Bangkok was a great deal more peaceful and thankfully much shorter. Immigration was a breeze and before we knew it we were in a taxi and headed to the beautiful Nai Lert Park Hotel (thanks mum and dad)!The taxi doors were opened by the smiling doormen and we were escorted inside. The Nai Lert Hotel is a beautiful lush oasis hidden within the jungle of Bangkok. Our room was upgraded on arrival and after exploring the grounds and a quick shower, we were under crisp, white sheets and sound asleep. All in all, a perfect beginning to the journey ahead.

Advertisement



9th February 2014

Is there a pilot on board, sorry I mean a nurse.
My Darling Kerstin Once again it is fair to say that life is not a destination, rather a voyage. Delighted to read your lines Sunday morning in the peace of our home in Ajijic. Fi, as usual a delightful young lady and Spencer integrating well in this new environment.
11th February 2014

Welcome to Travelblog
As a Moderator I have just accepted you as a Blogger. What an amazing first blog helping that lady throughout the flight! I note that you are returning to the region where you were born. I was born in Bangkok and went to boarding school in Vietnam and Malaysia, spending 18 years in Asia and 18 in Europe before settling down in the U.S. with an occasional overseas trip. Hopefully, you will share some of your early experiences as you relive some of them.

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb