Vigan (13-16 Apr 13)


Advertisement
Asia
April 15th 2013
Published: April 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

And so Sagada marked the end of my time in the Cordilleras, as I took the 7h winding road back down south to Baguio for a quick overnighter, before proceeding on northwest to the Unesco World Heritage City of Vigan.

From Baguio, it was a pretty 6h drive along the western coast of North Luzon, on the expressway fronting the South China Sea. But after spending a week in the cool altitudes of the Cordilleras, back at sea-level, the oppressive heat of tropical Philippines became an unwelcome reality again.

Vigan is certainly different from the highland towns, somewhat akin to the Intramuros area of Manila, with its well-preserved Spanish colonial heritage and architecture, but without (too many) of the annoying incessant touts of the capital. Like the other Filipino cities I've visited outside the capital, the atmosphere is much more relaxed, perhaps thanks to the noticeably fewer firearms! It seems also to be a preferred destination for vacationing Filipinos.

Not exactly a small town, but not quite a large city either, Vigan's main streets can be mostly traversed in a day, including its pretty Crisologo street, along whose cobblestones traditional horse carriages still ply their trade.

Apart from the obligatory visits to the few heritage mansions/ museums here, there wasn't all that much to do, so I spent the better part of my time here just resting from the recent long bus rides, catching up on some reading, and eating lotsa fast food (McDonald's, Chow King and Jollibee all adjacent to each other, a stone's throw from my hotel!)

Stayed at Vigan Hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Bus from Sagada to BaguioBus from Sagada to Baguio
Bus from Sagada to Baguio

Full house again, jam-packed in the aisles for another painful, winding 6h ride
Welcome Parade from ViganWelcome Parade from Vigan
Welcome Parade from Vigan

I must be important
Ten CommandmentsTen Commandments
Ten Commandments

Not the first I've come across here in the Philippines
Evening Bball Match on Vigan PlazaEvening Bball Match on Vigan Plaza
Evening Bball Match on Vigan Plaza

No tickets required for this home match!
Watermelons for Sale @ Vigan City MarketWatermelons for Sale @ Vigan City Market
Watermelons for Sale @ Vigan City Market

Yes, even the longish oval ones
Vigan City Hall & CourtVigan City Hall & Court
Vigan City Hall & Court

Spanish-influenced colonial architecture
Plaza BurgosPlaza Burgos
Plaza Burgos

This fountain comes to life at night.
Plaza BurgosPlaza Burgos
Plaza Burgos

This rubble-looking pile is in fact supposed to be miniatures of some of the famous landmarks of the world. See if you can make them out.


Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.2102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb