Day 10- Legian Beach- Bali, Indonesia


Advertisement
Asia
January 14th 2012
Published: January 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So here we are at day 10 of our trip to Indonesia.

I have to say we have been having a great time, despite the fact that the weather has been somewhat monsoon-ish 😊 It really hasn't stopped us from doing anything as it is still so warm. Even though tempreture has been at around 25-30 degrees, the humidity here is at 90 +. Crazy!!

We went to waterbom park. It is like Wet n Wild- QLD on steroids. Was so awesome. The park is full of different slides and pools. Peter went on all of them but seriously.... I couldn't go on the 'climax'. That slide looked so freakin scary. Kinda like the Space Probe (from australia's wonderland) but in water!! I wish i would have taken a video now of Peter doing it. TWICE! But I did the others. Boomerang was mad! I comepletely lost my stomach on that one 😊 Luckily not my lunch too!

We also went white water rafting the other day. I managed to stay in the raft this time (after a very embarrasing moment rafting in Thailand in 2010) Peter and I had great fun. The river took us down 14 kms of rocky, fast moving water with spectacular waterfalls and jungle plantation along the way. I think the guys we shared the raft with were very impressed with my set of lungs 😊

We then attended a magic show. Must admit, although the story line was pretty lame there was still some pretty cool illusions and tricks to be seen. The magician even brought me up on stage as his assistant, oh did Peter laugh. Not nice!

Today we went on a cruise to Lembongan Island. What a beautiful place, much better then Kuta beaches, this is for sure!! A 20 something ft beautiful catamaran equiped with a water slide that dunks you right into the ocean. Loads of fun!!! We went snorkling and Kayaking, had a traditional balinese buffet on board and a little later were taken on a tour of the village.

It was so interesting to see how the locals live. We watched a lady hand weaving. She explained that the sarongs and linen that they weave can take anywhere up to 6 wks to complete. And they only sell for around 100,000 RP. thats around $10 AUD. I felt so bad for trying to barter them lower 😞 Then we were shown the seaweed farming on the island. This really is an incredible process, believe it or not. They use the seaweed for anything from shampoo to icecream! Weird huh. Also the wood carving! Truly phenomenal. Such skill involved. You really need to see the art these men and women can create with their hands.

We have met some wonderful people here already. The locals are so lovely and chatty. This one receptionist from our hotel has taken a great liking to us and wants to go and work in Australia so badly!! After we told him about our adventures at Ayers Rock, he now keeps asking us for all the information on visa's and the Human Resources department. He is so sweet. I really hope he gets there!

The food here has been great, and so cheap! We eat out everyday at various nice restaurants and we only spend around $30 a day on food.

The hotel is ok but we much prefer the one across the road and we have been swimming there and using all their facilities like regular guests (sshh we are from room 312) lol. I guess its only a matter of time before they find out.

We are pretty disappointed with the beaches here. From Kuta-Legian the sands are littered with mounds of rubbish. And I mean truck loads. The locals say the tides have swept it in from the rivers over the last few weeks and they are really struggling to keep it looking pristine. After all they only have 12 or so people working on a stretch of approx 10 kms of beach. It is quite sad really. I bet this is what Tourism has done to the place. I'm sure it once was such a lovely area. We are looking forward to Thailand's beaches as we already know that they are pretty impecable.

In the next few days we'll be visiting the volcanoes, temples and turtle island. Really looking forward to it. Will of course update yet again.

Having problems with the photo uploader. So have put some pics on Facebook 😊

Much love everyone!

xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb