Nyepi Day in Bali - Religious Holiday


Advertisement
Asia
March 5th 2011
Published: March 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We are now celebrating the international religious holiday in Bali called Nyepi Day. during this day there is no activity in the home, village, city and country. No planes are allowed to fly in or out; people in their homes do not cook but fast during this day. The day is devoted to reflection on how they have lived their lives and how they will live their lives from today forward and they ask for help and guidance to live a good and kind life. In the hotel we have reduced services with no access to the ocean. All balcony doors must be closed (we have these sliding panels that completly block off the light from the patio doors) so that no light can be seen and tonight we will have battery operated candles in our rooms. Water aerobics will take place today but without music. There is a myth that the bad Gods come in from the sea and if there is no noise and if there is no light they turn around and go back out to the sea. The people are very serious about this AND if anyone is caught out they are thrown in jail.
Last evening was Balinese New Year and we were privileged to see a parade called Ogoh Ogoh. Each village creates these effigies which are very large and colorful. They place these effigies on a foundation supported by bamboo and however many people are required to carry this. It is a very noisy very high energy type of event.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb