Last Day in Borneo


Advertisement
Asia
August 16th 2010
Published: August 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

RegRegReg

Swinging through the trees
Early morning start, booked into see Orang Utans feeding at orphanage in ShangriLa Rasa Ria at 10am. This meant an 8.15 start. Where it was very poor on the way to see the monkeys the other day, this side of the island is very beautiful. There is so much development going on, there must be some growth in the economy. There is great emphasis on sport and education. The KK university is HUGE, and almost resort like. We arrived at Rasa Ria, next to the wildlife sanctuary is this deluxe resort. This sanctuary is a feeder to the Sepilok sanctuary - babies stay here until they are 4 or 5 before being transferred to Sepilok. This centre was developed to bring the 'man of the forest' back from extinction (by the way, they have 96% of the same DNA as humans!). One of the Orang Utans was a 3yr old male - the youngest there was called Reg and was quite a showman. He played to a mainly Asian audience (as so many of the tourists were either from Hong Kong or Japan) who oooohed and ahhhed until he decided to p*** on all those below him - so funny to see so many people jump so quickly. The sanctuary is in a rainforest environment and was very pretty, but very humid. Apart from these activities, I have learned a few new card games - starting poorly, but eventually holding my own. Lots of swim and sun, plenty of food and water - wine is not so good here! Now just waiting at the airport - plane delayed for an hour!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.461s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb