10 days of relaxation


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
August 13th 2010
Published: August 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Just more days of sitting by the pool, really hard to do!!! Went around the outskirts of the town and looked at the sporting complex that is just outside the town. It is still a very poor area, although they are trying to bring more in the way of tourists to the country. There is a big bowls tournament in town and we have four Aussie men representing NSW, and they are in the top 10.

Went to wetlands and bird sanctuary but I only saw two pigeons and a rooster! He, of course, managed to see a monitor lizard swimming, some fish and the fleeting blue streak of a kingfisher. We did however manage to see the rare thong tree, along with many thong floating flowers, along with the not so rare empty water bottles and cans.

Yesterday, after an arduous bus trip in a bone rattler, we were greeted with afternoon tea at the proboscis monkey sanctuary. The food was interesting, gelatinous globs of highly coloured sweet stuff; doughnuts and coconut pandan balls (bright green) sticky and gooey. After tea we set off on long boats to find the monkeys. Although we had been very negative and thought we might not see any - just as when I took JD & Kimberley to SA to see the Aussie wildlife and all we saw was roadkill, we were pleasantly surprised. Saw quite a few families of monkeys, both proboscis and silvered leaf monkeys. Birds were in short supply, well almost none at all.

Our boat driver was good fun, and a good boatman. He took us up and down the river, raced a few other boats and stopped so we could take photos of the sunset. After this we returned to the traditional hut on the river for dinner. Dinner was typical Malay food, Chicken, Beef, sambal spinach, rice, vegetables and crab. Tasted good and we all got a little messy. After dark, we travelled on the river again and saw the glow of 'fireflies', which were just like fairy lights on christmas trees, all twinkling in sequence. They rivaled the stars which were also beautiful as seen on the river. Tomorrow we are up early to go see the Orang Utans!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb