A foggy day in Delhi


Advertisement
Asia
January 23rd 2010
Published: January 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We thought we had factored in enough extra hours for an already slow train journey from Bundi to Delhi but should have known from the beginning that it was fraught with difficulties!

We had driven down the main road of Bundi waving at everyone out of the back of the auto rickshaw on the way to the station. We had shaken hands with our guide and driver of the rock painting outing, we had shared a cup of chai with the miniature painter (the paintings not the artist!) and shouted out to Krishnan our chai-wallah.

Empty station. Checked with guard who said our train had been cancelled and we had to make our way to Kota on the next train arriving and pick up the train to Delhi. Turning around, the friendly smile of Krishnan greeted us, the rickshaw waving was not enough, he had come to see us off!

An hour later and we arrived at bustling, dusty Kota station. Racing up and down the platform we were unable to locate our carriage and the only one which shared the number we were looking for was a dilapidated sleeper class one, overly full with elderly beturbanned gentlemen casting us suspicious glances. After several minutes of panic and thoughts of spending our last night in India on the floor of this sleeper class carriage we jumped aboard a newly joined carriage, housing our bunks, seconds before the train took off! Phew, and other expletives came to mind!

It was to be a phenomenonally (I struggled with this spelling and no help!) slow journey with our ETD being changed hourly. We had slept well expecting to arrive in Nizzamuddin station by 5:30am. At 1pm I was making frantic calls to Mr Gupta whom we had arranged to meet again at the International Centre for lunch at 1:15. Fog had caused the train to just stop and stop and stop again. I feel that every level crossing was personally investigated by the guard before we got the all clear to proceed. Dashing across town we enjoyed a wonderful lunch with them and related our tales of Wayside.

Delhi airport provided another waiting marathon. Really dense fog made us taxi out and back again and finally leave too late to make our connection in Hong Kong. 13 hours later and we are still here! We have been fed and watered and showered and rested and are hoping against hope to be found some business class seats by Cathay Pacific to make up for our wait!

Will keep you posted!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb