Ankor What...?


Advertisement
Asia
February 13th 2010
Published: February 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a long journey from the chaotic & dusty streets of Bangkok, we arrived into Siam Reap for our first stop on our Cambodian adventure. Already I am overwhelmed by the warmth of the Cambodian people and though it might sound like a cliche', despite having very little they seem to have everything. The locals are genuinely happy to have us in their country and they often run after us to say hello.

My Intrpid travel group is made up of four Aussie girls (including one from Kingsgrove!!!), two Canadian girls, two Irish lasses, a Dutch girl and two English lads....to say I'm absolutely thrilled by my group would be an understatement. It took all of about 5 minutes for all of us to now have 10 brilliant new friends and there's never a dull moment! Our guide Fila is amazing and it's great to be able to experience Cambodia through the eyes of a Cambodian.

Our first full day we spent at the temples, taking in sunrise at Ankor Wat, elephant rides around Bayon and going Lara Croft like at Ta Prahn. You have to see the temples up close to really appreciate their true significance, photos just can't do justice.

Siem Reap town is actually a little more built up then I had imagined, but certainly not trashy like a lot of popular tourist destinations. We took in a dinner and traditional Cambodian dance show, explored the local markets, visited the Fish Doctor - hundreds of little fish that eat at the dead skin on your feet (gross!)-and have certainly enjoyed the nightlife of Siem Reap....WARNING.....$2 cocktails & shots are dangerous!!!!

Our next few stops will be to off the usual tourist haunts and one night even includes a homestay at a small village about 3 hours from Phnom Penh.

Until then....xx




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb