Sweet Kerala


Advertisement
Asia
December 14th 2009
Published: December 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kerala, a state in the southwest corner of India, describes itself as 'God's Own Country'. This claim ranks up there with BC's 'Best Place on Earth', but we give the edge to Kerala as its boast goes beyond the scope of our own planet. Kerala truly is as beautiful as it promotes, as it is blessed with small mountain peaks, spice plantations, lush rice fields and incredibly interesting backwaters. The backwaters are made up of hundreds of kilometres of rivers, dykes and canals snaking around man made islands that house villages and fields below sea level.

It is in this setting where we spent the majority of our time in Kerala. We took several local ferries among the islands and stayed in a homestay deep in the backwaters. It was a great place to wander, bike, bird watch and canoe along the waterways while watching village life and all the activities on the water unfold.

Kerala is also the first place where a communist government was democratically elected in the world, and where it continues to govern (perhaps that it is why it refers to itself in god like terms). As a result, the state boasts of 100% literacy, the longest life expectancy in India, food subsidies, innovative programs and a high rate of alcohol consumption. Small wonder that God calls it home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Pepper PodsPepper Pods
Pepper Pods

Black Pepper - dried unripe berry White Pepper - dried mature berry Red Pepper - mature berry Green Pepper - unripe berry
Dredging the CanalsDredging the Canals
Dredging the Canals

The canals are often dredged by hand with young chaps who dig up the silt with a mask and a basket. The silt is then used to reinforce the dykes, added to fields, or used for building supplies.
Traditional FishingTraditional Fishing
Traditional Fishing

Rows of Chinese fishing that are dropped into the water.
Ferry PrincessFerry Princess
Ferry Princess

Sylvie showing off her pigtails to the locals.
Tourist  HouseboatsTourist  Houseboats
Tourist Houseboats

Hundreds of these houseboats ply the waterways. We opted to stay on terra firma.
Water LoggedWater Logged
Water Logged

Pollution from the houseboats and fertilizers from the fields are allowing the invasive water hyacinth to clog up the canals.
Classroom ManagementClassroom Management
Classroom Management

Grade 3 students in their class at the local public school.
Cheers!Cheers!
Cheers!

Another tourist having difficulty dealing with the alcohol content of toddy, the local brew tapped from a coconut tree.


Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0944s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb