Fromage, Croissants et Plus


Advertisement
Asia
December 12th 2009
Published: December 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Golden GaneshGolden GaneshGolden Ganesh

What's luckier than Ganesh? A giant golden Ganesh
Les Francais set up Pondicherry as a colonial outpost many moons ago, and as a result it is a curious blend of France and India. 'White Town', the old colonial district, is quiet, tree-lined and full of beautiful colonial buildings, while the rest of the city is as chaotic and horn-obsessed as any other Indian city. With the French culinary influences, we were able to enjoy some fine cheeses and baked treats with our masala veggies and roti. The surrounding area in the state of Tamil Nadu is renowned for its colourful temples, ashrams, gurus and 'alternative communities'. We hired an auto rickshaw driver for the day who was given free rein to find us some of the most interesting (re: quirky) temples in the area. He didn't disappoint.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Holy CowHoly Cow
Holy Cow

What's more sacred than a cow in India? A giant cow with a family of deities sprinkled all over it.
Kali TempleKali Temple
Kali Temple

It was as crazy as it looks
Jaws of DeathJaws of Death
Jaws of Death

Remove your shoes, navigate around dried dung, take off your shirt (men only) and walk down into the mouth of the beast. Once down in the dark, incense-filled chamber, enjoy the clamour of cymbals, conch shells and clapping. It was quite an attack on the senses.
Blessed BeastBlessed Beast
Blessed Beast

Offer the friendly pachyderm some grass, bananas (or rupees) and it will bless you with a tender snout kiss on the head.
Getting BlessedGetting Blessed
Getting Blessed

Four tonnes of blessings and one wet kiss on the forehead.
Peanuts AnyonePeanuts Anyone
Peanuts Anyone

Picking up some roasted peanuts on the breezy Pondicherry waterfront. They weren't for the elephant.
MatrimandirMatrimandir
Matrimandir

This is the spiritual heart of Auroville, an 'alternative community' that we checked out (google it!). Despite the tasty food, we declined to sign up.
Pondicherry ParentsPondicherry Parents
Pondicherry Parents

'The Mother' and Sri Aurobindo: founders of Auroville and the 'yogis' behind a devout following in Pondicherry, spiritually and commercially.


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb