Namaste from Phakding! Elevation 2652


Advertisement
Asia
October 6th 2009
Published: October 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I finally escaped the craziness of the city and am in the Himalaya's. The flight to Lukla was good but the clouds obscured the moutain views. It was pretty cool coming into land where we basically just flew into the airport on a horizontal flight level. The runway is so short but is sloped uphill to help stop the plane in time.

The walk to Phakding was quite easy (only 2-3 hours) so a nice gentle introduction to what is to come. We had a nice lunch stop in a lodge overlooking a really steep valley with a raging river flowing throught the middle. It rained a little bit but even in the rain it was quite warm (I only had a t-shirt on for most of the way). It's absolutely amazing watching the porters walk up the hills with 2-3 packs strapped to their head and back. We've also passed lots of yak trains and a couple of very high suspension bridges that were lots of fun.

Tomorrow is a big day climbing about 7-800m up to Namche where we will have a rest day. Anyway won't write much today - should have better internet access tomorrow.

Scott

Advertisement



6th October 2009

I'll be watching you...
Hey bro, been following your every word. Sounds pretty amazing. One of the kids here at school just said to say you're crazy for trying to climb one of the Himalaya's. Have a great trip.
6th October 2009

Wow!
How many people are in your group? Hope you are all getting along. Those porters are making me feel decisively tubby when I think about what their cardiovascular system must be like! Loving the updates! The lunch in particular sounds wonderful. Keep 'em coming!
6th October 2009

Go Scotty...
Hey Scotty congratx n best luck for this exciting tour.... stay away from ice... howz Nepali ppl treating you? Cheers, Nirms
7th October 2009

Delly Belly
Hi Scott. I forgot to mention take some tablets along with you just in case for "Delly Belly". It's very common in India, less so in Nepal. Even the food in good hotels can be suspect. Have a great climb. Cheers! Barry
7th October 2009

Are you on your own or are there other tourists doing your tour/walk? Hope the weather improves.
9th October 2009

love hearing from you!
looking forward to hearing how you cope with high altitude! Great to hear of nice easy strill in so far. I had a great porter on my recent Cradle adventure! He carried one pack and dragged the other in the snow! love Mum xxx

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb