Closing ceremony time


Advertisement
Asia
July 23rd 2009
Published: July 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Preparing the roof to go onPreparing the roof to go onPreparing the roof to go on

We prep the roof ready for installation
By Carinda....

The build has now come to an end after 10 days of hard labour - what an amazing experience it has been! We are all extremely proud of our efforts having completed the walls and roof (so the structural shell is done). The doors and windows do not arrive until Saturday so we were unable to complete the entire front area. The photos I will upload will show you how far we have come. They now have electricity connnected and are actually going to install a loft down the track which is why we had to make the brick walls 4meters high.

Today we held the closing ceremony which was very touching... the grandmother of the family broke into tears and hugged us all (so some of us cried too). Was such a wonderful thing to be apart of and we really feel that our efforts have made a difference to the family who will be living there. We handed over some house-warming gifts that we thought would be suitable which included a rice cooker and a water purifier - we know they will get lots of use from both items.

I have loaded up our official habitat build group photo for you to check out, the family are in the front row of this pic.

We also had to say farewell to the local kids and my 99 year old friend which was sad.

Has been an awesome experience, both Tegan & I look forward to telling you all more about it and the tales of our vietnam travels when we return to Oz in a few days time.

Thanks for reading our blog 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Completed houseCompleted house
Completed house

Internal view - now with roof!
The handover ceremonyThe handover ceremony
The handover ceremony

We met to officially pass over the house to the new owners, the entire street joined in.
Our build group photoOur build group photo
Our build group photo

The team of volunteers who made this happen, including the local helpers and the family (new owners) in the front row


23rd July 2009

Thank you both for sharing this wonderful experience with us all. Safe trip home...xx

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb