Siem Reap and Angkor Wat Temples


Advertisement
Asia
July 19th 2009
Published: July 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After surviving the journey to Siem Reap we were pleasantly surprised at what a nice town it was. Lots of great little restaurants and bars to refresh yourself at after a hard day of temple visiting. Of course, the real reason for coming to Siem Reap is to visit the temples of Angkor Wat, often called the 8th wonder of the World. The complex is absolutely massive and nearly everyone hires a Tuk Tuk driver for three days to drive them to all the various temples. We, of course, are not everyone and decided to rent bicycles for the epic three day journey despite the near 100 degree temperatures.

We started by visiting the Roulus group, the earliest temples of the Angkorian kingdom (over 1500 years ago). We were attempting to visit the temples chronologically so as to not be bored after visiting the big hitters on the first day. Lucky for us, the Roulus group is about 13 km outside of town. We finished there around noon and hit the road for what was nearly a death ride. After taking a wrong turn we found ourselves on a paved road with no shade, no water, and no idea how much further we would have to ride. Pat promised to roll me into the rice paddy if I died so that my body could be put to good use as fertilizer (so sweet). Luckily, we found the connecting road to Angkor and nearly collapsed at a roadside stand for lunch and the mandatory purchasing of worthless stuff from beggar children.

Afterwards, we hit the temple circuit and continued on for the next two days. The first day alone, we biked 60 something kilometers and biked well over 100 km before the temples were conquered. The pics pretty much speak for themselves, so enjoy!

Be sure to go back to the Thailand posting as we've now loaded up lots of good pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

For you, Dave, from the beggar kidsFor you, Dave, from the beggar kids
For you, Dave, from the beggar kids

No gaurantees it makes it back to the US
Pat at Ta ProhmPat at Ta Prohm
Pat at Ta Prohm

Site of Tomb Raider film


20th July 2009

WOW
Hope your last Saturday night in Asia was awesome. Will miss reading your adventures, but I'm thinking you will enjoy some cooler temperatures. - Love Mom
26th July 2009

cool
Hi Sarah and Patrick I have enjoyed immensely your blog journal of your journey. so upbeat an adventure. I am envious. Thanks so much as it has kept me thinking of you.
26th July 2009

WOW
Really enjoying the photos, Sarah and Patrick. Suppose you are now back in Fargo trying to deceid which country is the top on your list. ;)

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb