monkey temple


Advertisement
Asia
February 4th 2006
Published: February 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So our second day in hampi i finally convinced Snir that getting out of the chair and seeing some sights was a good idea. We decided to go to the monkey temple, now from what i gathered by the writing on the stairs the temple is a temple to ram, but as i could only understand what was writen in english i could be mistaken.

The temple is on top of a hill and there are about 300 (Snir could have been exagerating) steps from the base of the hill to the temple itself. The climb up was an interesting one i don't think that snir's done much actual excersice in about a year so he suffered a bit. Yogev just flew up and Eran and I were somewhere in the middle. When we got up to the temple we were a little disapointed by the lack of monkeys, we had been told that they would be everywhere and trying to steal our bags and jump on us. When we arrived to the temple it was about 3 and the only monkey to be seen was the one tied up sitting beside the guru baba. Baba was a bit of an interesting man, he invited us all to sit with him and shortly after a very energetic local man came and got his palm read. It was explained to us that this was how Baba made money, I don't know the word for it but the man who helps the people pray to the god told us that Palm reading is a waste of money and people are only ever told what they want to hear.

After about half an hour in the temple we went to explore the surounding boulders and that's when the monkeys appeared. The swarmed us at about 4 o'clock, right when the heat of the day was starting to go away. As we were walking back down the stairs they were jumping on our backs from all angles. The baby monkeys seemed more afraid of people but the adults were dive bombing us. I've got to say monkeys are a little creepy, they're such little people.

Today we're going to the ruins, that is if i can wake up the others.

Advertisement



5th February 2006

Have I ever
You know the game "Never have I ever"? If we ever play I am definitely saying "Never have I ever been attacked by monkeys," and win the game.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb