Malaysia: KL, Malaka & Singapore


Advertisement
Asia
February 6th 2009
Published: April 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

KUALA LUMPUR:

With a population of 1.3 million LK is the largest city in Malaysia. It's home to Malay's, Chinese, Indians and tons of backpackers.
The ethnic diversity gives the city a great feel with it's various cultural customs, religious beliefs, languages, cuisines and architecture making it a really unique city with its mix of history entwined beneath the shadows of its skyscrapers and modern office buildings.

The streets are bursting with life and even more so at the time of my arrival.
Totally unplanned I arrived in Kuala Lumpur in time to catch the end of the Chinese New Year celebrations and the beginning of the Hindu festival of Thaipusam 'a test of faith'.

Held in the Batu Caves on the outskirts of the city this annual 3 day festival is for Hindus of all casts and culture to show their appreciation to one of their many Gods, Lord Murugan.
Celebrations draw around one million people from all over Malaysia as they take part in rituals. Tourists watch with amasement as hundreds of devotees spear their cheeks with long, shiny steel rods and pierce their chests and backs with small hook like needles in penance. Its believed the white ash smeared on the body and the juice squeezed from the yellow lime fruit or the milk poured on the pierced areas help to numb the skin.
The atmosphere is electrifying and the noise from the drums and singing is immense. Many of the performers are in a deep trace as they dance through the crowds showing their devotion to the religion eventually making their way up to the mouth of the cave.

MELAKA:

Kat, Neil and myself head down to the historic port city of Malaka to spend our last few days in Malaysia in a peaceful city with beautiful Portuguese and Dutch architecture.
We took advantage of the laidback vibe and comfy coffee houses as we catch up on emails, blogs, books and the latest DVD's.
As much as we're enjoying our stay here its clear we're all beginning to count down the days til our flights out to Australia. As i look back on the past few months i can't help but have mixed feelings about leaving this part of the world.

SINGAPORE:

Its my last stop in SE Asia before heading back to a more Westernised life in Brisbane.
Its sleek look and modern buildings marks the end of my hustle and bustle days spent immersed within local markets and delicious food stalls but with it's super snazzy streets and cleanliness it makes it a perfect transition city.
I like Singapore especially little india but its clearly a city to be enjoyed with money and not for scruffy backpackers.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

Check out the mass of people heading for the cave to prey
Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

Objects hooked into his skin
Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

He's pulling carts along by the hooks in his back
Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

A man collapsed from exhaustion


Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1009s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb