Mai Chau, Mai Chau, Mai Chau la la la


Advertisement
Asia
August 23rd 2008
Published: September 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our private Ford Transit Van driven by Mr Koas arrived bright and early and our tour guide Toas explained the itinery and we headed off for our three hour drive to Mai Chau. After another bumpy ride (at least we had the van to oursleves), we arrived at our home for two days. It was a Thai stilt house owned by a lovely family from the White Thai Tribe. This group is the main group of people living in Mai Chau. The Grandma served us up a wonderful spread whilst great grandma looked on grumpily. After lunch we headed for a walk with Toas to the next village along. Here there were no other tourists and all the children came running out to say hello to us. The valley was just beautiful so green with farmers working in their conical hats. It really was like something out of a film set and a view we will never forget. We were so glad we decided to go to Mai Chau. We walked for a few hours through the village which was made up of about 30 Thai Stilt houses, most of them had their cows living under neath them. They were pretty self sufficient. We headed back to our house for another amazing tea! In the evening we were treating to a performance of traditional dancing. It was really impressive. At the end they danced over bamboo sticks held by other locals, they had to keep in time to the music as the bamboo sticks were pulled together to a beat. If their feet were still in the middle of them ~ tough!!! Of course we were made to join in which was quite a laugh. Mike was chuffed to be dancing with the best dancer in the village, even if he did get a little confussed by the dance steps! This ended with drinking local wine through bamboo straws - lovely!!!


After a good nights sleep in our Thai stilt house, we woke ealry for our bike ride around the Mai Chau valley! This took us further and further away from the tourist path and we were once again greated by many children running out of their wooden house to shout hello! It was really beautiful but hard work as the sun got hotter. 28km later we arrived back at our guest house for yet another slap up meal but this time we had earnt it. I think this bike ride was one of the most memrable experience of the trip. Truely stunning!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

our turn!our turn!
our turn!

Got to be quick or feet get hit - ouch!
our homestay familyour homestay family
our homestay family

grumpy great grandma in background!


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb