Siem Reap to Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
June 4th 2011
Published: June 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Computer in our hotel in Hanoi is not brilliant so you are going to get three days in one. Really all it deserves anyway as we have just done a lot of wandering around soaking in the sights and sounds of Siem Reap and now Hanoi.

Vietnam airlines changed our flight to a later one out of Siem Reap so we paid for a late checkout at our hotel and spent the day doing a little more market shopping and exploring some more of Siem Reap. Once at the airport it was easy to see why our flight had been changed, the flight they added us to was still only about a quarter full. Had my first run in with airport security - they didn't like the ice pack keeping my medicine cold as it was more than the prescribed amount of "liquid". After much explaining they confiscated it (sorry Jude - I owe you a new one) even though that ice pack has been through countless screenings across many continents - go figure.

Arrived at hotel about 11.00 as things were starting to quieten down on the street, so straight to bed. Some things haven't changed - about 5.00 am the city started to come to life, about 6.00 the loudspeaker across the street started blaring it's messages and playing rousing music. The only difference is last time we had Hanoi Helga who must have retired to be replaced by Hanoi Harry.

After wandering the streets and organising money and sim cards we had some lunch then Stuart rang to say they had arrived so a few beers with them whilst they ate. Followed up with a few beers at Bia Hoi corner and dinner with Stu and Robyn, Rachael and Tony. Had fun at Bia Hoi Corner negotiating with the shoe repaire who wanted $500,000 dong to repair my shoes. Beer has gone up - it is now 25 cents a glass!!

Today, Kim and I wandered through the French quarter, quite a stark difference from the Old Quarter with wide tree lined streets and impressive big buildings. the signs of increasing wealth are everywhere from the designer label shops to the expensive cars. More and more Vietnamese are eating at restaurants where only a few years ago you would only have seen tourists. The increasing wealth is going to cause quite a few challenges for the authorities. As motor scooters replace push bikes and cars replace motor scooters the physical infrastructure is struggling to cope. Walking around the old quarter is becoming increasingly difficult, the footpaths are just a parking spot for bikes now, and they are spilling out on to the roads just because of the sheer numbers of them. Add cars parked on the street and thousands of scooters and cars trying to navigate through the narrow streets and there is very little room left. Needless to say, the use of horns has not decreased.

Had a great meal on the street with Stu et al before a visit to the night market. $30 for 6 meals with beers. Looking forward to catching up with Ali and the girls tomorrow.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb