Koh Ker and Beng Melea


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
June 3rd 2011
Published: June 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

An 8.00 pick-up from Soryar today for a full day’s exploration of some of the temples further out from Siem Reap which are less frequently visited. It is a two and a half hour trip to Koh Ker, a collection of temples dating back to 928 – 944 AD about 150 kilometres from siem Reap. As always the journey there was half the fun, just looking at life of rural Cambodians.

The first of the temples we visited was Prasat Pram, a collection of five smaller temples with some impressive sized trees growing over and through the structures. After a number of other smaller temples we arrived at the largest of the temples in this group Prasat Thom (Thom meaning big in Khmer). After wandering through a number of gateways and smaller buildings there is a very impressive pyramid shaped temple. The temple is forty metres high with 7 levels and greenery growing on every level. For a temple nearly 1200 years old it is in remarkable condition with only a few stone buttresses around the stairway having fallen. Unfortunately the wooden stairway to the top has fallen into disrepair so we have to content ourselves with a walk around the base, supposedly the view from the top would have been worth the climb.

We then visited a further 7 or 8 temples in the Koh Ker group each with their own unique characteristics before heading back to visit Beng Melea on the way home. Beng Melea is about 40 kilometres from Siem Reap and is built in the same style as Angkor Wat. The temple layout is actually the same as Angkor Wat but slightly smaller and the central tower was not as grand. The big difference is that Beng Melea is in a much worse condition with large parts of the temple walls having fallen. The striking thing is the sheer volume of stone (and we are talking large blocks) that is lying around the site. It is a different perspective when you are walking over and through piles of rubble. Trees are growing over and through the structure everywhere. I think the challenge for the authorities is how to preserve what is left of the temple, I would think restoration is out of the question.

After a swim at the pool and another great meal it was time for the fish massage where small fish eat away all the dead skin. We had been looking at the fish massage places since we had arrived and finally decided to bite the bullet. I am not sure I was that popular with the other patrons. My psoriasis started a feeding frenzy and before long nearly every fish in the tank was attached to my feet deserting all the other patrons. I had to lift my feet out of the water several times so that the fish would go back to the others. It was pleasantly relaxing and certainly got rid of the dead skin. A good end to a great day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb