Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
June 16th 2009
Published: August 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to Vietnam -- at least Northern Vietnam -- where we spent a short, but happy week!

We arrived in Hanoi at 2 am after leaving Laos on a bus at 6 am the morning before. We were happy to finally make it! Hanoi is the capital of Vietnam and is a fascinating blend of East and West, with Chinese influence from centuries of dominance, and French design from its colonial past. Hanoi retains much of its older colonial charm, and, if we can find one positive side effect of war, it has kept Hanoi largely free from ugly modern architecture. As a result, few buildings in the city center area are higher than five stories and the colonial architecture remains well-preserved on narrow, atmospheric streets.

Hanoi is built around a couple of lovely lakes, which provide nice places to people-watch. We enjoyed starting the day with a coffee and croissant on the edge of Hoan Kiem Lake. There are a couple of pretty temples built on tiny islands in the middle of the lake and we visited one of them as well. More than anything, however, we just enjoyed the vibe sitting there and watching the people pass.
HanoiHanoiHanoi

Hoan Kiem Lake, with one of the little temples


We didn´t see traces of the war that we would have encountered if we had traveled in the South (e.g. Ho Chi Minh City -- previously known as Saigon). However, we did stop at the infamous Hoa Lo Prison, which was known as the "The Hanoi Hilton" during the Vietnam war era and where many US POWs were held after they were shot down. Little emphasis is given to this period however, choosing to focus on the period it was used by the French to imprison Vietnamese freedom-fighters.

We took one side trip to Halong Bay on the Gulf of Tonkin. It is a beautiful area with 1969 limestone islands jutting imposingly upon the skyline. Unfortunately the place is a bit of a tourist trap and the unique panorama is spoilt by a tremendous amount of "junks", or Chinese-style boats, carrying tourists around the waters. Still, it is the only way to get out on the water and closer to the gorgeous scenery, which made it worth it.

Stay tuned -- next stop -- Hong Kong!




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

We really noticed the Chinese influence in the old statues -- most of them had very characteristically Chinese faces/features.
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Bridge to one of the little temples on the lake.
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Temples galore....
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

One of the grand old buildings in the Old Quarter
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

´Hanoi Hilton´- prison that became notorious during the Vietnam War in the US. In Vietnam, that period of history is barely represented.
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Hanoi Hilton
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Hanoi Hilton
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Typical street scene with woman carrying food
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Another view of the pretty lake!
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

The ´Temple of Literature´, which also served as the country´s first University, dates back to 1070
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Temple of Literature
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Inside one of the temples....
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Typical street scene -- Motorbikes are omnipresent in Hanoi!
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Typical lazy charm of a street in the Old Quarter
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

The Catholic Cathedral
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Sunset on the lake...
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Water puppetry is a popular folk art.
HanoiHanoi
Hanoi

Live musicians accompany folk legends from Vietnamese history, told with wooden men, women and dragons, dancing and splashing on the face of the water. The narratives are sung in Vietnamese.


9th September 2009

Natural wonders . . .
Hello, Heather Lee and Florian! Such natural wonders interspersed with significant culture, but, alas, singed with regretable history -- and yet the people go on . . . . Thank you for helping us see and understand. We await more sharing.... Love and Best Wishes, Aunt Joan
17th September 2009

What an adventure
What an adventure. I hope that you have stopped at every postoffice and picked up new issue stamps and will stop in lincoln city, oregon and drop them off in person. Hope to see you both when you get back to the states. Tom
21st September 2009

Left Vietnam
HI Tom, Greetings from Zurich/Switzerland. Our blog is a bit lagging our movement :). We are currently in Switzerland and Heather has started a job. Any plans to come to Germany and pay us a visit in Switzerland?

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb