Arrival


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
May 21st 2006
Published: May 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

After many tedious weeks of preparation and a long build of anticipation for our trip we left late Friday night on the first leg of our plane trip to Hong Kong. We were caught of guard by the announcement that we would have a refueling stop over in Alaska for an hour.

Bianca and I had both been heavily sold on a direct flight to Hong Kong so we were less than impressed at not being informed of this by anyone. Suffice it to say this disappoint was quickly replaced by the giddy travellers joy of the possibility of adding another interesting location to pin on our travel map. We both slept through the night and missed Anchorage entirely, so does it still count? We won't tell if you don't.

After 19 hours of flight time we touched down in Hong Kong International Airport. Inspite of the clouds and fog blanketing Hong Kong, it looked like a spectacular place. Mountains and skyscrapers were just part of the landscape we saw through the airport windows! :-) The blast of hot air as we disembarked was enough to know that we were in tropical climates! Nevermind, the orchids growing everywhere in
Thai and his cousinsThai and his cousinsThai and his cousins

With Huy and Tan
the airport!!

We had a 2 hr stop over before our short flight to Ho Chi Minh City. The flight, customs and baggage reclaim was uneventful. However, nothing prepares a "Canadian-ized" body to walk right into 31C, of heat, humidity and the hectic pace of Ho Chi Minh City! Wow!
The throngs of people waiting for arrivals was unbelievable. They were screaming to catch the attention of their loved ones. This is how The Beatles felt? :-)

Thai's aunties and cousins lined up the arrivals area, and we couldn't tell who was who! First off, many were wearing the "SARS-Surgicial" masks and gloves to protect against pollution, so really we could not tell them apart! After navigating throught the gauntlet of anxious people we finally caught our first glimpse of Saigon. Dragging our loaded luggage through the mass of people our senses werew quickly overwhelmed by the speed of the scooters and taxis, the noise of the crowd, the heat, sunshine and the bombardment of requests for taxi rides.

We filed into a mini-van with our luggage, for a fun ride through the streets of HCMC. Traffic Rules, who needs 'em? We've never seen so many motorbikes, bicycles all in one place. There must be a contest to see how many things/peoples/furniture one could fit on a motorbike! It was unbelievable.

We have read many accounts describing the street traffic of Vietnam but, nothing can truly do it justice. It reminded me of a crowded ocean scene with thousands of school of fish flitting and changing direction without a moments notice and narrowly missing each other. The only thing missing is the obnoxious beeping meaning "look out" or "get out of the way", the difference depending upon the courage of the driver and the size of their vehicle. Truly a specatacle for this Canadian G class driver.

Aunty # 5 , has been a very gracious host. Thai and I have an aircontioned master bedroom, and Thai's mom, Nhan, has her room besides us. We are about 30 minutes from the heart of Saigon via "Honda", the ubiqutous scooter that dominates local traffic and acts as moving van, bus, and convertible.

My mother settled right into the familarity that arrives with meeting intimate family and quickly began gossip updates and inside jokes with her sisters. With the sensory overload and gatigue of travel I needed too many reminders to match faces, with names or in the case of the Vietnames family hierarchy, numbers. Everyone was friendly and welcoming and it was truly a perfect homecoming.

The novelty of being the "Happy Tourist" has worn off and we are both excited at prospect of divining the pulse of this city and the incredible adventures awaiting us beginning tomorrow.


Advertisement



22nd May 2006

chao geese
……Sunday nite…& between listening to anamika + studyin for finals and reading the geese travels…..am now scrupulously pondering on the diasporic similarities of chennai and HCMC.. HYDRATE well Geese! K safe travels now and lookin forward to the crescendo of more... and back to ecumenism... hugs and prayers C
22nd May 2006

Yay
Congratulations on sleeping through Alaska - I think its even better than having seen it! Besides that no word from my friend in Cambodia. Last I heard he was out in the middle of nowhere. Enjoy, and looking forward to the rest of your log. Love to you both T : )
22nd May 2006

Safe and Sound!
Don't think you missed much of Alaska, but I would still consider it direct :) I have to say the traffic does sound like what it would be in the Mumbai. Looking forward to more stories from the two Geese :). Safe travels!
2nd June 2006

Finally!
Welcome to Asia Flying Geese...life is comfortable here isn't it? ;) Makes u wana stay there and teach English for a living! Asia is definitely miles ahead of the West in terms of fun and vices...wish I coulda been there, but I got eight-balled by the prices..soorrrry!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb