Slight Return


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
September 18th 2009
Published: September 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After 6 weeks back in the UK, I am now in Vietnam again. Being practically local now, the transition to being back was far easier this time. No problems with jet lag or the culture shock of the noise and traffic. This time it was like arriving at a second home, comfortable and familiar.

Spent most of the first week catching up with people in the office and re-establishing the routine I had set previously. After a day it was like I had never been away.

As the weekend was my birthday though, I decided to get away for a few days. Not wanting to travel far, I opted for Thao Diem Village in district 2 of Ho Chi Minh City. 7km away from district 1, it is just different enough to be a pleasant break. Thao Diem Village is a small resort located next to Saigon River. Once you arrive you quickly forget the city you have left behind and begin to relax. The resort itself is a converted villa, with two swimming pools and spacious grounds to wander around.

There is a lovely natural feel to the place, surrounded by trees and the ever present river. The rooms are large with beautiful wooden furniture. Breakfast is served in the Italian restuarant next to the river. You can sit in the sunshine watching the boats pass and not caring about any of the stresses from the week. In the evening it makes for a romantic spot to have dinner. Although I could see a storm in the distance, which made for quite a light show, the rain never actually arrived so dinner was unspoilt.

The main pool has got ample loungers and a good bar service so even if you decide not to swim you can relax and drink cocktails by the pool.

In all it made for a great way to wind down after my first week back. Nicely relaxed I returned to district 1 on Sunday afternoon ready for another week of work. A birthday well spent.





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb