The posh train and ho chi minh city


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
May 29th 2009
Published: May 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well its only been four days since the last update but quite a bit has happenend and i have an hour to burn so i thought i would do an update.

Well on monday evening we left nha trang on a train that actually arrived on time which was a bit of a shock. when we then got on it, it seemed like a palace compared to the others with wood panel walls a good bed and a swish HD TV in our room although it did only play some crappy train DVD. we then settled it to bed and I eat the small feast of food i had gotten from the supermarket down the road. expecting the train to arrive late at HCMC i set my alarm for about ten minutes before the train was planned to arrive. next minute it actually pulled into the station with all my kit spread across the carriage leaving me in a right rush to sort it all out to then run down the outside of the train to collect my bike. as usual though when we got given our bike the train guards tried to rip us off by getting us to pay them for doing what they get payed for anyway. we then made a sharp exit from the harrasing train guards to the ride around HCMC for a good hour trying to find out way. once we found the good hotels we then moved across town to the ones we could actually aford (ie like 12 dollars a night and not 200). we managed to get ourselves one that gave us free tea, coffee, juices, breakfast and an evening meal. not to bad a it saved us quite a bit of money on food.

The following day we took the "short walk" which ended up a bit longer as we got lost and enede up in a taxi to the war remnants museum. the museum itself was good although a bit grim. with loads of photos of the the US soldiers torturing the VC. you can also tell that the government dont really like the US.

The day after we then went on a trip to the cu chi tunnels. this was just a bus ride away costing $5 aand then amother 5 to get in. the highlight of the trip was going into one of the tunnels which was 145 metres long really small and pitch black. it also went up and down and left to right inside and you couldnt see a thing.

The day after we decided to have a bit of a rest day and went to a well good water park. although when we got a taxi drive to take us there he did take us to the wrong one. but its was a good day out and it had some mega slides.

Today (29th may) we left HCMC and started our leg heading to phom penh in cambodia. bit of a rubbish ride really it took us 2 1/4 hours to get of the the mad road system that is HCMC nearly get hit by scooters all the way. overall we covered 60km and are in go dau and will be heading across the border in the morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb