1 month down, ___ more to go...!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
October 26th 2005
Published: October 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

we made it through our last bus ride to Ho Chi Min City (formally Saigon). yes we made it! for our mothers peace of mind, we have not gone into full detail of these crazy rides... but now that we are alive and in one piece, it is time to share.

basically, our bus rides in vietnam were a constant game of chicken. even if we could fall asleep, the blinding headlights of oncoming traffic would wake us up. the busses, no joke, drive 85 % of the time on the wrong side of the road... constantly passing slower trucks and motorbikes made us feel like we were in a video game. let's just say there were a few really close calls...

the best part... the honking was non-stop. no joke, more time is spent honking the horn than not. thank you ipods!

at first we thought that Vietnam was the perfect country to travel around b/c almost all cities are a night bus/train ride of 12 hours or less from one another. the bus is significantly cheaper but for a good reason... (ie: we never got the promised free bread and water on every ride, the ac was either too cold or not working, and it always smelled like BO and fish sauce)

but we made it! yeah.

however, in HCMC your life is always on the line. take Hanoi traffic and multiple it X 100! in a weird way though, it is an organized type of chaos. we litterally walked into traffic coming from all directions, and stood in the middle of the road until we could dodge another bike, car, or bus - street crossing takes awhile.

this city is the most modern and crowded in all of veitnam. there are 22 different districts, and they are all very different in their own way. even though we have not been to NYC, we imagine it to be very similar but with 6 million plus asains.

enjoy the photos from our last city in Vietnam, and our little recap of what we experienced in the last month...

OFF TO THAILAND!!

xoxo S & J









b.t.w. due to the 24/7 companionship this last month... we have learned some fun facts about eachother:

jessie:
* drinks gallons of tea like her life depends on it
* clips her nails more often than she shits
* likes anything shiny, colorful, or lit up (chistmas lights are the worst!!)
* is a creature of habit
* has a RIDICULOUS soft spot for cripples, elders and youngsters

stacy:
* is the cleanest, dirty person ever
* can fix anything with a little creativity and duct tape
* a little caffien goes a LONG way
* thinks everything tastes better with salt
* her life (aka her backpack) explodes in EVERY hotel room



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

props to the french and the 6 cent baguetts!!props to the french and the 6 cent baguetts!!
props to the french and the 6 cent baguetts!!

whether or not the bread was stale or warm, with rocks or dirt, it was a part of our daily diet, and we loved it. (Hanoi)
east sideeast side
east side

we were dealing with colorful bills that had ridiculous amounts of zeros at the end... so much fun.
aren't sidewalks for walking?aren't sidewalks for walking?
aren't sidewalks for walking?

not here... anyone can post up shop. anywhere. (Nha Trang)
imports are LUXURY...imports are LUXURY...
imports are LUXURY...

and if there was any Guiness, the price ratio was 12:1... no joke. at this particular bar, it was 10 bucks for a can!! ...can?!
fruit shakes anyone?fruit shakes anyone?
fruit shakes anyone?

yeah probably not the most sanitary ice source... but hey it's humid here.
love at first sightlove at first sight
love at first sight

jessie really asked how much for this puppy. he was so mellow!
although more accessable than the bins at home...although more accessable than the bins at home...
although more accessable than the bins at home...

there is no sampling here! vendors see all.
indoor market (HCMC)indoor market (HCMC)
indoor market (HCMC)

strange candy, dried fruit, and who knows what else!
water puppets are considered a "cultural experience" in Vietnamwater puppets are considered a "cultural experience" in Vietnam
water puppets are considered a "cultural experience" in Vietnam

...we considered the show to be near unbearable. one hour of wooden puppets bobbing up and down paired with high pitched singing made us feel like sneaking out early was legit- at least we got a free fan!
positive side of rain clouds...positive side of rain clouds...
positive side of rain clouds...

beautiful sunsets (HCMC)
sounded fun at first but...sounded fun at first but...
sounded fun at first but...

after eating shit and being covered in moist sand mixed with humidity sweat, we were ready to hop back on our motobike asap! (Mui Ne)


28th October 2005

hi
beautiful pictures girlies. im not going to make it to india but my mom and bro will be there. ill send u their info asap. you should def go to dinner or lunch or shopping...she would love to see you and you could meet my wonderful fam.
29th October 2005

bye bye vietnam
Hmm, I doubt you'll miss the smell of bo and fish sauce on the bus. Very discriptive, yes, I lol. Love the things you've learned about each other. Stace, it doesn't surprise me that you're backpack explodes in every hotel room since it was on the verge of exploding when you left home! Thanks for the great communtication. I can't tell you how appreciative I am. xoxo
29th October 2005

I'm loving the photo essay, keep um coming! I'm proud and jealous of you guys at the same time. Have a safe trip to Thailand. Someone in Wyoming loves you!
29th October 2005

Pho-ck You Two!
Le Marquis says ...his jealousy is too unbearable. Why must you keep putting up such amazing pictures of dreamlike (to me) faraway places. STOP IT! I dig on the dunes, though. Vi voglio vedere, ragazze!
29th October 2005

NOODLE SOUP!
That picture of your noodle (pho) soup meal made me SO jealous! I forgot how much i miss the soup bar at the MU. sad sad. Eat lots of it for me girls!
30th October 2005

bangKOK
Hey girls! Wanted to know your Thailand dates--perhaps we can party for a night in Bangkok together. We'll be arriving at 11:30pm on Dec 13 and then taking off for Ko Samui for Full Moon. Let me know!
31st October 2005

i wish i could say this in a more creative way because it has been said so many times, but your guys' pictures are incredible. crazy, but i actually enjoy reading your blogs, unlike some other peoples (ha ha, gadiel). i love you girls, and i miss you lots. here i am sitting at my restaurant in the back waiting for it to close. my life is very very very exciting. lots of love and take care always.
1st November 2005

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
Hey girls, Happy Halloween! We're celebrating in style back here in davis, hitting up cantina and maybe a little kareoke at G street. It's not the same without you, hope you're having sooo much fun, well duh you are, but yea, keep the journals and pics coming! xoxo, Melissa and Sarah

Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 105; dbt: 0.1272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb