Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
November 16th 2007
Published: November 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Saigon around 7pm after enduring another 7 hour bus journey. Our initial impressions were that it was better than Hanoi and over time in was proved right. Got dropped off smack bang in the centre of backpacker territory and quickly found a guesthouse after picking up our passports which now had a visa extension allowing us to stay in Vietnam for an extra month if we needed it. Headed down the main road and found Go2 bar recommended in LP, so we stopped for bite to each and a couple of Tiger beers in there. When again we bumped into our chums from Brighton. They were meeting our friend from the states 'Tucker' and some other american pals plus the 2 english girls we'd met in Nha Trang.

Went for some cheap red wine (which i'd been craving since arriving) with them in a pizza pasta place. After half a litre for $3 was well on the way again, spent that night in Go2 where it seemed most backpackers hang out. Spent the night in there singing and dancing and got back to our guesthouse around 4am. Was woken abruptly the next morning to which I thought was our room walls being knocked down, not quite but the guesthouse had failed to inform us that there was a building site at the back of our room and started work early the following morning. So we quicky rounded up our stuff and changed guesthouse. Was paying $10 a night here slighlty more expensive than what we'd been used to but still dirt cheap.

Visited the palace and War Museum. Palace wasn't a big deal but the war musuem was a real eye opener and some of the images on display were very moving. Had a small disagreement with the 2 cyclists that had taken us there. But we paid them a little extra than what was originally agreed they had provided me with some comedy after Neals driver had offered Neal's services (Boom Boom) to 2 hot American girls that were walking down the road.

Again we started the eveing with some cheap red wine, then watched 2 premiership games including Villa beat the Brums. Neal was in a better mood after Ramos had lead Spurs to their first win in a while. Back in Go 2 for the rest of the evening where we had partied with some Swedish girls, Canadian and Brighton boys plus the all singing all dancing.

A day of chilling followed with another night inGo 2, the following day we took a trip to the Saigon prak which was cool, kind of like a them park but with only a couple of rides, had tropical birds, monkeys, an Ice sculpture display of landmarks around the world, crocodile farm, rollercoaster. Was an afternoon well spent bu the highlight of the day was the motorbike across Saigon in rush hour it was absolute carnage and I feared for my life on several occasions. We also checked out the so called China Town but this was dissappointing more like a big market than a china town. Spent the evening in Eden another bar partying with some dutch people.

Visited the Cu Chi Tunnels the following day which was a real experience left quite early for them via the back of a motorbike which took about 90 mins and again was a hell raising experience, had one close shave on the way back where contact was made with another bike but luckily we was going quite slow and my driver was experienced on these mental roads. The tunnels were fascinating and we was able to go down into them firstly with the guide and then he left me and Neal to crawl another 30 metres on our own which was terrifying, think it was the closest I've been to a panic attack. Some points are pitch black and you can just about crawl on all fours. Hard to believe that this was one of the bigger tunnels. Decided this would be our last night on the booze as it was starting to catch up on us. Tried a saloon bar which was good but overpriced and again ended up in Go2 bar with Canadian some aussies and norweigens.

Neal spent his last day visiting his mates furniture workshops, I spent the last day doing some xmas shopping and getting it all sent home which took some time!!! Neal wasn't feeling great and went to bed early, I watched American Gangster in a small cinema and then got an early night ready for our trip down the Mekong Delta.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb