Planning stage 2


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
April 12th 2011
Published: April 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Carolyn in HCMCCarolyn in HCMCCarolyn in HCMC

Carolyn entering a store in HCMC. CC is driving her nuts with her (ie CC's) hope that this vacation is really just a 2 week long shopping trip.
Having a quite day today as we set the stage for the next segment of our trip. We have delayed the departure to the Mekong until tomorrow so that we could plan ahead for a change. Right now the kids are finishing up a homework session (about 90+ min of work each) while Carolyn just went out to talk to a travel agent. Once the kids are done, they and I will probably head over to the war museum (aka Museum of American War Crimes) and maybe take in the reunification palace. Carolyn's attendance will depend on what gets booked at the agency.

After the Mekong, the main options are;
1. Boat to Pnom Penh and then on to Siam Reap to visit Angkhor Wat again
2. Plane to Hanoi and then overnight on a Junk (chinese-style sailing boat) on Hao long bay

Then after one of these we'll aim for the beaches on the coast around Mui Ne for a few days of simple beach time and that might be the end of the trip (only 11 days left already)

An interesting fact we heard at the Cu Chi tunnels yesterday; Just 2 years ago in the
SharklandSharklandSharkland

The water park we took the kids to on Sunday. If you look closely, I think Jacob is in the pool at the bottom of the slide moving to the ladder
jungle they found the body of a Vietnamese soldier from the war 40 years ago. He was still in his hammock between two trees but was only a skeleton clutching his old weapon. The belief is he came down with malaria and was left behind by is unit, but they were destroyed before they could send anyone back for him. Puts the old stories about American MIAs into a bit of perspective.



Advertisement



12th April 2011

Looks like an amazing trip, an amazing place! Thanks again for the blog. And tell the kids (from their schoolmarm auntie Jen ;) that I am proud of them for keeping up with their studies. Love you all, Jen
23rd April 2011

the tunnels, the skeleton, a shopping spree
So, was Jacob the only one who didn't freak out and go crazy underground in those tunnels. Where people hiding and living down there during the war. It's creepy to think of it. Yeah, that skeleton is quite an image rolled up in his hammock with his weapon--it's sad to think he was probably so sick and scared he was praying to die. Have you read "The Things They Carried?" by Tim O'Brien? I'll copy the story into a private message. Carolyn better be buying presents on her crass shopping bender, that's all I can say!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb