Ho Chi Minh City aka Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
August 12th 2010
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Saigon is the largest city in Vietnam, it's home to just over 8 million people, and 7 million scooters, if you believe a tour guide that we had.

We arrived on Sunday morning at 6am, just in time to find a bed and get back the coupe hours of sleep I didn't get on the 5 hour bus from Mui Ne. Football was the plan for today, we were going to watch Navibank Saigon play Kho Trang. We paid 100,000 vnd (about 3 quid) for the pleasure, and were seated in the vip section, we actually used the same exit and toilets of the players.

When we asked to go to the football, we were warned by pretty much everybody about the standard, but dear me, it was good to see a game of football live again but if Sam and I had our boots with us we could of done a job, and bearing in mind this is the premier division with another league below. We did see the biggest Vietnamise man ever, his name was something ........ SanTos and he played in goal for Siagon (the team in red) see if you can spot him in the pictures. The game was still alot better than France v Uruguay, but Saigon lost 0-2.

Saigon was the main city the Americans used during the war so there is lots of war stuff to do and see, we signed up to go on a tour of these Cu Chi tunnles. They are about 90 km outside the city and you can go there and see how these people fought and avaided the Americans by building about 200 km's worth of underground tunnles. You got to see all these bamboo traps that they would use, grumsome stuff.

On the way back we stopped off at the war museum, which was full of guns, planes, tanks, bombs and loads of other stuff the US left behind. As a boy, its good to see all these planes helicopters etc that you see on the films but there was some horrific images on the walls. It didn't leave a lot left to the imagination.

Thats pretty much it now from Vietnam, in about 7 hours we take a bus to Cambodia where I hear you can shoot a cow with a rocket launcher.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb