Tunnel Vision


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » Cu Chi
October 20th 2010
Published: December 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Jim firing a real gun! 20 secs
2: The Blair Chu Chi Tunnel Project 12 secs
We stayed in a very welcoming and helpful family run hostel in HCMC who advised us to eat in a nearby seafood night market (which was super tasty), explained all the sights and arranged our trip to the Chu Chi Tunnels for us.

We lucked out on our trip to The Cu Chi Tunnels by having a guide from south Vietnam who served in the Vietnam War fighting with the Americans. He had many interesting stories about the War and the Viet Cong, showed us booby-traps, how they made weapons and explained how they lived and fought in the tunnels.

Half way round we were offered the chance to fire guns at the shooting range, why not eh!?! We were equally nervous and excited about the prospect and signed up to fire an M16. You pick your bullets like sweets in a sweet shop, at £1 a bullet we bought 5 each. Thankfully the guns are nailed down so no nutters can run off with them. It was over pretty quick and we kept a bullet case as a souvenir (more on that story later in the blog...).

At the end of the tour it was time to experience the tunnels first hand, inside was pitch black, baking hot and damp, with just enough room to crawl or crouch. We emerged sweaty and filthy with a new found respect for those that lived down there.

We spent our last few days sight-seeing, visiting the Notre dam church, the river front and the War Museum, which was equally a shocking as it was interesting.

Our trip in Vietnam had come to an end, it's now time for our return to Cambodia after 4 years to see what's changed...

Love Jim and Carla
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb