Happy Hearts in Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
January 23rd 2011
Published: February 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Howdy from Hoi An!

After opting out of another 22 hour journey up the Vietnamese coast, we swapped dusty roads for clear blue skies and jetsetted our way out of Saigon. Next stop was Hoi An - a quaint coastal town famous for kitting people out in sharp suits, warm winter jackets and, well, just about anything really! You ask for any design and they will make it for you that very day!

Of course even in super cheap South East Asia such activities were a stretch too far for our modest backpacker needs. After fine dining in Saigon and a flight North we were experiencing our own mini economic downturn - and this is one recession we couldn't spend our way out of!

We touched down in Danang after dark before grabbing our bags and hailing a taxi to Hoi an. After somehow surviving an hour with Vietnams answer to Michael Schumacher we arrived in town and checked into our hotel. We spent the evening trying some local cuisine and exploring the sparkling streets before the jet lag finally persuaded us to call it a night - its a tough life!

Next morning we were up and out to explore this stunning town by day. The Old Town is a mish mash of tailor shops, bars, restaurants, street food and markets. Plenty to keep us occupied! After Claire had tried her hand at carrying some old street vendors load (see the pics!) we found a nice cafe and watched the world, and the inevitable motos, pass us by. It really amazes us the things they balance on the back of these bikes, since back in Cambodia we have seen washing machines, toilets, trees, chickens, live pigs and even, wait for it, a COW, on the back of them!

That afternoon we hired some bikes and meandered up Hoi Ans coastal stretches. After stopping for some homemade lemonade we headed back to the hotel. The original plan was to head out for tea, but once I discovered the Hearts Rangers game was being shown via Vietnamese cable the evenings itinerary was hastily adjusted! We ordered some room service and toasted another famous Jambo victory from the comfort of our hotel room! Well I did anyway...

Looking forward to Hanoi and catching up with Tina and Paul next!

James and Claire x


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb