Tours, temples and too many tourists


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
May 1st 2010
Published: May 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Went on a tour of My Son Holy Land to see the old Hindu temple ruins, another world heritage sight. We got on a big bus to the outskirts of My Son (tour guide again seemed quite a character and liked to tell us the same info at least 3 times) then transferred to the minibus/jeep that would take us up to the temples (roads were quite narrow). Me and Rob managed to grab seats in the jeep much to our joy 😊 It was an old American jeep abandoned during the war. Many of the temples suffered bomb damage during the war but due to the surrounding jungle landscape they still look intriguing. There were about 600,000 tourists around making it difficult to get a picture of the temples that didn't contain at least 5 other people taking pictures! I enjoyed the walk back through the jungle to the exit which seemed quite magical due to the number of huge butterflies around. We'd paid to get the boat back, the river didn't hold much of interest but we did get a free lunch (rice, veg, egg and tofu)! After 45mins or so we stopped at a village under the pretense of seeing locals build boats but really it was just to take us round some shops in the hope we'd spend some coin...we didn't.

Back in the town we booked our flight out of Vietnam for 18th May (we're going to KL then on to Sumatra 😊).


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb