Sapa - Hanoi - Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
January 17th 2009
Published: January 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Before we left Sapa we managed another trek through the rice paddies. We won't talk about the single lane muddy track we travelled on, or the landslide that held us up, or the water gushing across the road, or the fact that oncoming trucks (or us) had to leave the road to pass each other even when there is no barrier to stop vehicles tumbling down the mountain side. We won't talk about that - we will just say how wonderful it was getting our exercise and visiting with the villagers!

It was soon time to get our luggage and head back to the train station.

Talking of trains---- one train trip was lovely blah, blah blah but three was two too many!! We got lucky on our trip up to Sapa in that no one shared our cabin. We were not so lucky on the way back. Five minutes before we left the station two men joined us. They were the size of trees, I swear they were, and when they stood up they filled the compartment. Needless to say I did not get much sleep that night, plus they wanted to sit on our beds and talk with us for a while. It is a good thing we decided to get a day room back in Hanoi where we arrived at 4:30am because we needed to sleep. We also finally made it to the 'Hanoi Hilton' which is a very sobering place.

That same night (last night) we caught the train to Danang. Well, there is a big difference between the tourist trains that do the Sapa run and the ones that travel down the coast. You can't even compare the quality and cleanliness of the cabins and as for the bathrooms. Enough said on that issue. I just drank as little as possible.

We kept our fingers crossed that we would get lucky with the cabin but, once again, shortly before departure three local ladies came to the cabin, loaded with shopping bags. Two travelling and a friend helping them with all their shopiing. They had packages shoved in every corner. The three of them stood outside the cabin and had lots of discussions looking and Don and me and we knew what it was probably about. One of them was VERY pregnant. Don looked at me and I looked at him and he rolled his eyes to the top bunk. He asked the mum-to-be if she would like the bottom bunk. She didn't think twice about it that is for sure. I said to Don, 'Never mind, they probably can't speak English. It will be a quiet night.' He replied 'Don't be so sure about that.' He was right - their English was excellent. The three of us had a very good visit together while Don read his book on the top bunk.

We have now arrived in Hoi An, which looks like it is going to be a lovely spot to spend a couple of days. This afternoon/evening we did little more than eat and walk the town a little as we need to get some sleep. The city is well known for is paper lanterns and at night all the streets are lit up with them. It is very pretty. Hoi An is also a UNESCO world heritage site, so there is lots to see and do but we will think about that tomorrow. Now I must go sort the laundry.


Advertisement



18th January 2009

What great adventures!
Hello there, I look all over the forums for the accounts of your trips! I enjoy them immensely. I will be travelling to Viet Nam in October of this year and I am learning so much reading everyones tales of traveling. Thank you both for sharing, I can definately say I am a fan!
19th January 2009

Hoi An fun
I remember watching a water lantern festival in Hoi An.... by the Japanese Bridge. Such a great memory. Always wish that I had more time there.... as it was one of the places where I always wanted to ditch the group. If you do get bored... head to My Son... supposed to be a great day trip!! Love the pics.

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb