Scary weather


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
December 2nd 2006
Published: December 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

When we got to Nha Trang we listened to the news and the Typhoon had hit Phillipenes and was heading to S. Vietnam but CNN doesnt seem to concentrate much on it and we couldnt find much info on the internet or from reception but when we got to the beach the waves were so high and the current looked so strong we decided to skip the beach and head to the market but it started to rain soooooooooo heavy we took a taxi home straight away.

Initial impressions from Nha Trang is that it reminds us of somewhere like Mikanos where its really touristy and built up which is such a shame. The people are really different too - much more pushy and quite rude about it too. Its also a shame that the weather has spoilt the beach otherwise it looked quite nice. : ( Thats the bad thing about not being able to be spontaneous and be able to move on straight away! Boucs and Leena text us about a place 60km from Nha Trang called Doc Let but we asked people if the weather would be any different and they all said no so we preferred to be in hotel if a typhoon was coming then in a beach hut.

That night we ended up in a bar called Crazy Kim's bar and it wasnt long until you understood what the bar stood for. Basically this one lady takes on the disgusting pedaphiles and looks after the children that she can giving them free English lessons and lunches. There's loads of kids there and one boy ran up to us showing us a powerranger outfit and asking to give money.. we slowly realised that it was a present for him that Kim wraps up for the kids till Christmas. We couldnt say no after reading all those articles on the wall so we bought this boy the outfit and a batman outfit for another boy (obviously we had to draw the line at the other kids) but the geniune excitement on these 2 boys was so heartmelting it took all I could to hold back the tears. They were so excited that the younger one ripped open the packet and tried on the suit straight away and then the other one was trying really hard to resist but he broke in the last second and tried his on too. The giggles made us smile so much. It's not a scam either as Kim comes over and takes the money and then they do wrap up the presents after and put them under a christmas tree. We spoke to Kim for a while and she organises volunteers to teach english in the morning which we were gonna do if we had more time. Seriously though, I know I'm nearly 30 but I'm so sheltered to the darkness in the world. I know its out there but getting so close to the children that these perverts are affecting really renders you hopeless. I've seen some dark things on this trip and the lure that se x has over men (including western men over the cambodian girls and transvesties in Siem Reap)! Maz has seen it before on his last journeys so he not so shocked as I am now. Kim is so great for doing what she does. Everyone should visit the bar at least once to help the kids!

The second day the beach was still really windy and waves looked uniniviting so we went to the mud baths which were so much fun. We spent the day feeling like pigs in mud - literally. First you have to take a shower for 5mins then sit in a bath of mud for 15mins, you then sit and sunbathe for 15mins till the mud turns rock hard on your skin which is hilarious. Thank Gosh it was sunny!

After you wash off the mud you go and sit in hot springs for a while and then you have unlimited use to the 30 degrees swimming pool. Maz and I also opted for a massage and sauna which was really good. Maz got his neck cracked for the first time but he loved it! At the end of the massage they ask you to fill in a feedback form and rate them from 1-5 and then a section is for tips... I left it blank because what was I going to say? You could concentrate a bit longer on my neck? Outside though, Maz asked me how much did I give for tips and I looked at him blankly.... he cracked up when I told him I thought tips meant comments... I was wondering what the dirty looks from her were for when we were getting on so nicely!

That night after dinner and a few drinks we went to a nightclub opposite our hotel which was HILARIOUS! The women dancers do the 'credit card' dance constantly trying to be ultra sexy and the men shake their ar ses better than shakera. Everything in Nha Trang closes early - 11.30ish so we didnt stay long but would have loved to - the music was seriously good! Loved it.

It was a good thing we did the mud baths on that day as the next day the Typhoon was approaching and the weather was really really bad. Everything was shut including the market so we didnt have much to do. At night there was a sign saying pls do not go out as Typhoon Durian was coming so we ate at their restaurant and went back to the hotel room.. It was a bit scary as there was no one to tell us how bad it would affect us and how safe we were in the hotel and downstairs in reception I heard the receptionist telling guests who were staying in rooms at the front of the hotel that they were being moved to the back of the hotel for safety. Our room was at the back so we were fine and it did make a difference as from our window you could really feel the winds but if you went to the front of the hotels the windows were really banging from the winds and the very heavy rains. We managed to sleep through it though and happy to report all is fine.

xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb