Day 28 - In Hanoi, more leaving and aftermath of storm


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
August 18th 2012
Published: August 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 28 - In Hanoi, more leaving today
The night was wild last night, not the group, the weather! I didn't get to sleep until about 2.15. It was sonoisy outside because of the wind, the sheeting rain and all the banging and clattering of buildings and all their loosely connected fittings. The roof next door was adrift last night, this morning when I went out the hotel man was already on it!

One thing I have learnt whilst I have been here is the sheer resilience of the Vietnamese people. Their lives and culture is built on historical myths and strong religious beliefs. I would have to add to that it is also built on, absolute physical, mental and emotional strength with sheer determination! They seem to have endured so many wars, disasters, hardship and economical struggles, yet they continue, striving for a better life and continuing daily life in such a way that has to be admired.

If we had a storm, like we have just seen here, at home. It would be on the news, in world wide media, people would be scamming insurances, for lots of people, it would seem like the end. People would struggle to continue, whining and carrying on, but here......... It is an unbelievable sight. They clean up, and it is business as normal. I realise this is a monsoon area. It may seem extreme to me because of my cultural and socio economic background. But it is still amazing to see, and be in the middle of! And because of this, I am in favourite coffee bar having a cold latte....yyyyaaayyyyy! Today more of the group have gone.

This morning Nadia and Britty left. They both fitted everything in their backpacks, and extra newly purchased bags; more importantly, they could actually both carry their bags...LOL. Later today, Andrea, Hannah, Roisin, Ben and Gloria will be leaving. But on a good note, Renske will hopefully get back to Hanoi. This return does depend on whether the government will allow the boat to cross over from Cat Ba Island later today.

Yayyyy, Renske ans Son made it back! I have just heard that Britty and Nadia have been put into a 5 star hotel due to the cancellation of their flight! Not sure how they will feel about that, by the photo on Facebook, Britty looks very happy!

We went to Le Pub again to eat. We are now a much smaller group: Gloria, Hannah and Roisin who will be leaving tonight. Then just Jess, Renska and me left tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb