Published: August 17th 2012August 17th 2012
Day 27 - return to Hanoi
I struggled waking up this morning; probably as it was such a late night last night! I got up, showered and put all my bits together for leaving. Last night thanh and Son had a word with Renska and i about the strong possibility of a storm coming to Cat Ba island. If it did, we may have a problem getting off the island to catch our flights as the Goverment often stop all boats if it is a risk. This could cause missing flights, stress...... And a fair amount of money.
I decided to leave today, which is in effect a day earlier than planned. Renske decided to stay in Cat Ba for an extra day. I didn't consider the extra session being worth the risk. I didn't really have to pack, as I didn't unpack. Nadia and Britty were so good at spreading their stuff that I felt it was not a good move to add to it. Therefore I kept all my stuff in my bag, on my bed.
Breakfast was a slight improvement this morning. We got an omlette each with the little baguette. This was a much more
appropriate serving. I was undecided whether to go to the beach for the final morning to try to get a tan, or whether to just loiter! I finally decided to hang around. I found a strip of sun on the balcony, so I fitted myself into it and had an hour sunbathing, with no sand to contend with! As the sun moved it became increasingly more difficult to fit into the sunny patch....LOL. At one point I was actually 'planking' in Vietnam!
We had dinner at twelve, for what it was worth! then everyone said their goodbyes. Mossy, Will, Amberlee and Renske are all staying for a while longer whilst the rest of us set off back to Hanoi. Some will be there for one day, some for two. As we got nearer to the harbour, the skies opened, with vengeance. I was so pleased I had decided to leave today as it was clearly not going to be good weather in Cat Ba! Getting off the bus and onto the boat was a difficult task in the hard rain. I had flip flops and a vest top on.....how wet? OMG...it was torrential, just like when we left Hanoi
last week! The sea crossing wasn't too bad as I was able to occupy my mind with blogging! The journey was quicker than I expected; then a quick changeover on to a small public bus. We were like sardines, but it was manageable. Ben sulked all the way! Before we knew it, we had another changeover from a small bus to a big bus at Hai Phong city, then it was more comfortable, with air con, to Hanoi. Ben was a bit happier now :)
As we arrived back in Hanoi there was a lot of evidence of the destruction cause by the storm and flooding. Lots of trees have fallen and been hit by lightening or strong winds. In the news it states that HA NOI – Tropical storm KaiTak will make landfall in the border areas of Mong Cai City in northern Quang Ninh Province tonight, but the storm will be less powerful than yesterday, local weather forecasters said The Central Steering Committee on Flood and Storm Control held an urgent meeting in Ha Noi yesterday afternoon to prepare for the storm. Hai Phong City and Quang Ninh Province - home to the tourism site of Ha
Long Bay - were urged to take prompt measures to safeguard fishing vessels, tourist boats and aqua-culture farming areas on the sea. We just got out in time!
We all dived into the hotel for tea, everyone either wanting the loo, or starving. Some needed both! After tea there was time for a bit of shopping and a last get together at Le Pub for a drink as 3 people leave early tomorrow morning. Bye to Matt, Rachel and Becky who are continuing their travels to Ho Chi min by plane tomorrow, Lilley who is travelling to same place, but by bus.
I have just added a beautiful picture of a sunset in Cat Ba Island...... Thanks to Hannah. There was no way I would get up in time. Thanks Hannah
There are more photos below