Hanoi Travels


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
October 9th 2011
Published: October 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well what a couple of days it has been! We drove down to Brisbane after I (Kattie) finished work and had went out for Sizzler’s (YUMMO) for dinner and got to bed pretty early considering but well, I didn’t get much sleep. The bed was so hard, and I’m not joking, every time you moved it squeaked and groaned and let’s just say a few swear words were said. We have flown for what it seems like is forever….the Brisbane flight to Darwin was delayed by 2.5 hours so we were at the airport from about 6.30am after checking in “Sally Sonata” to Andy’s Airport Parking and we didn’t arrive in Darwin till about 2.30pm (Darwin time. So not having much time to go and check what we wanted we just sat at the airport…..again!! We talked to a lovely couple that were on their way to Vietnam as well for about an hour and then we finally got to board our plane – Destination – VIETNAM!!!

The Plane ride seemed to take forever because of the 2 hour time difference, but we eventually did. What a sight flying into Ho Chi Minh with all the neon and bright lights.
Pogoda on Hoan Kiem LakePogoda on Hoan Kiem LakePogoda on Hoan Kiem Lake

This pogoda in the middle of the lake.
It was so beautiful. It’s a pity we couldn’t take a photo but that’s the rules of flying (when you’re about to land!) So when we actually got to our hotel, which was beautiful. it was like 9.30pm…..you have never seen so many people on bikes but it was Saturday night after all. Scooters everywhere!! What a sight!!

Flight 3 – Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi was a bit of an experience as well. When you don’t speak the language you just pray that someone speaks a little English to help you along. The guards at the airports are very stern looking and frankly – scary!! The flight into Hanoi as a little bumpy that Paul would have liked but we made in one piece and it only took 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Our hotel “Hanoi Elegance” is small but very clean. The staff a super friendly and speak pretty good English. They are also really helpful so a big “thumbs up” to them! They have helped us book a few tours which is fantastic.
We went for a really long sightseeing walk around Hanoi and well there are some funny things to look at, like a whole street of people selling sunglass and streets of bags and fruit and even paint! Yes in the can as well.

We went and visited the Ngoc Son Temple on the Hoan Kiem Lake, it was 10,000 dong entry which is like 50 cents…(so expensive! Lol) We walked around in there and seen a few praying shrines where people leave money once they have prayed. We also went for a bit of a walk around the lake and saw a man fishing and people just sitting and relaxing, lots of people sitting an relaxing. It looks like that’s what you do on a Sunday. We decided to go and get a beer at the first “Beer Sign” we seen….and boy was it good. It is so humid here and the sweat is just pouring off poor Paul. I’m not doing as bad but the beer was good. We had our first Vietnamese food while at this restaurant as well, Yummo…..and for 2 lunches and 4 beers was about $20 (an up market restaurant).

So out for dinner - which was beautiful and we got 2 entrees, 2 mains and drinks for less than $30. Off to bed earlyish
Kattie having a local beerKattie having a local beerKattie having a local beer

Man did it taste good after walking around for hours!
so we can be up early and ready to explore some more of Hanoi’s fascinating sights and experience some new weird and wonderful things and hopefully not get run over by a passing scooter! And maybe, just maybe doing some shopping!! Hehe.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Local trafficLocal traffic
Local traffic

Scooters everywhere.....what an experience it is crossing the street!
Local fishing on the lakeLocal fishing on the lake
Local fishing on the lake

He did actually catch a fish....it was only tiny though.
Balloons on Hoan Kiem LakeBalloons on Hoan Kiem Lake
Balloons on Hoan Kiem Lake

This was really pretty.
Worship PlaceWorship Place
Worship Place

This is inside Ngoc Son Temple.
Vietnam flagsVietnam flags
Vietnam flags

This street had flags everywhere.
KFC Anyone?KFC Anyone?
KFC Anyone?

Paul spotted this KFC just across the road where we had beers.


14th October 2011

YAY!
Looks like your having a great time babe! Enjoy!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb