The 1st week


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
February 15th 2010
Published: February 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The 1st week setteling


Well here we are after 3 days on the boat around Halong Bay finaly an internet connection again!
We are now back in Hanoi waiting for bus to Ninh Binh. It was a great week so far....So lets start at the beginning...After about 15 hours in plane and airports we were very much looking forward to get a nice holtel and enjoy some nice local restaurant
After our "skilled" hagle with taxi drivers we have decided to take a local bus to the city which have proven to be a good decision as the journey was only 15 min longer for 1/10 of the price and the experience was a bonus....we were expecting something similar to what we have seen in Bangkok but we were soon experiencing the chaos of Hanoi 2 days before TAT which is Vietnamees new year and also time when everybody is year older...does thet mean I'm now 31...hope not...it took us couple of hours to get used to crossing the road...after watching some locals the best way seems to be...do not look at either side and just walk slowly- the trafic then just moves around you...crazy!! and extraordinary!!
In this busy time we were lucky to find very cousy hotel right at the heart of the 'old quater' just 4min walk from the Lake Hoam Kiem. We got a room right at the top of 5 story building...we have unloaded our lagguage and went to enjoy the view...as soon as we have seen the stunning view we realized what a wonderfull experience is ahead of us!!
The next day we fought with the jet lag by setting of early and by local transport went exploring the town. The festive season brought even more colour and noise to already hectic street life so the day consisted of exploring the local markets and than quiet escapes into cauntless temples libraries and secluded cafes...the most interesting was Koto, which was founded about 10 years ago and is helping children of the streets by giving them an education in catering...the service was excellent and we were happy to learn there are many new places like this all around Vietnam.
The ever present Comunist sybols were escalating as we were getting closer to the home of the former president Ho Chi Minh in his Mausoleum...the landscape, soldiers and artworks were a big reminder of our childhood in the old Czechoslovakia...in other words the "beautiful mask".
After short break in the hotel we set of again to explore the city at night...adventualy giving up to the tempting smells of the local restaurants...the cousine is simply briliant.
On the 3rd day we have decided to book 3 day trip to Halong Bay for very reasonable $40,-...Now... I have longed to see this place for many years...seing many photographs, documentaries atc. I had clear expectation but nothing can prepare one for the shire enormity and beauty of this place, with its countles bays, caves and the diversity of the floating vilages...we have spend one night on Cat Ba island with trekking the national park the day after and the second day on the boat among The many beautiful islands of the bay...we have visited small floating village of few houndred inhabitants and learned a great deal about their live...second half of the day we went to visit two biggest caves which were lit with colerful neons to enhance the experience...we thought it was a shame as they were wonderfull on their own...we also had a chance to explore some caves on cayaks, which was definitely the best way to do it.

Over all we are realizing that we are in for a big one...always trying to get as much information from fellow travellers as poss.

This is as much as we can share...the bus is waiting so good bye for now...we miss you all...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb