Hanoi & Halong Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
October 6th 2008
Published: October 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

HANOI


After talking to some other traveller's along the way, we heard nothing but bad reports about Vietnam, especially about the people being very rude and so on. But we loved it there, people were really friendly to us and Hanoi itself is very chaotic and crazy. There are motorbikes everywhere! We had to learn the new road rules, there are none!!
And crossing the road is really an experience, things to note:
- the traffic will not stop
- the little green man, can not be trusted anymore
- you first step out and when you see the slightest gap you go and walk slowly keeping a eye on the traffic coming towards you. You keep walking at a steady pace because then the traffic will go around you but if you run or stop, you might get hit..
The people use the horn here consistently, but it's not the same as at home like beeping at bad driving or something. Instead it's just a polite warning to the other drivers and pedestrians that you are coming through.
And walking around you have to sometimes walk on the road because the motorbikes are parked on the footpath or are driving along it!!
We stayed in the old quarter which is nice with little narrow streets and it's great to watch the locals here. They sit on little plastic chairs that seem designed for children - drinking iced tea and eating pho.


HALONG BAY


While we were in Hanoi we went on a day tour to Halong Bay - a world heritage site. We left Hanoi around 8am and we arrived in Halong Bay city after 3 hours drive. Then we were to have a nice 4 hour cruise around the islands and bay. It was really beautiful, with floating markets, caves and really nice scenery. Unfortunately Niamh had a really bad flu so she felt really bad for most of the trip but she made it through it and really enjoyed it too.
When we got back to Hanoi we saw the street famous for selling and cooking up dog meat. Our guide said it was nice meat. I don't think we'll try it although some dog meat on a baguette, a bit of salad and some fries, it might be ok!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Halong BayHalong Bay
Halong Bay

We took lots of photos here because it was so beautiful
The faceThe face
The face

Halong bay


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb