GOOD MORNING VIETNAM


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
May 10th 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello All

We arrived in Vietnam last Monday 5th after a very eventful boarder crossing from China......

We left Beihai on Monday morning at 08.20, Sandy made sure we caught the right bus, we travelled for about 2 hours to the boarder crossing, we caught a little golf buggy which dropped us off outside the customs area and it was manic, full of Chinese with all there goods to sell in Vietnam fighting there was through to be first in the queue, everyone was very friendly, considering they dont see many westoners at this crossing, we eventually got through the gates and no questions asked... walked across the river to the Vietnam boarder crossing area, by this time we are dying of heat and knackered from carrying the bags....... the heavens opened but we are in Vietnam..... We asked a taxi driver how much to the bus station for Hanoi, he laughed,we thought nothing of it but he quoted us $200 to Hanoi, NO WAY, we will catch the bus for 3.5 hrs for less than a pound each. So we got the bus station and was told to sit until 12.30 before we can buy the ticket, Stu was concerned as most of the buses had Mong Cai to Hanoi on the front....so out came the LonelyPlanet book and the map, we then realise we have the wrong boarder crossing rather than the nice easly route of 3.5hrs to Hanoi from the Friendship pass we were in Mong Cai and it was 10hrs by local bus........ we had bought the wrong tickets in Beihai, as you can imagine, I wasnt too pleased!

But in the morning, i could laugh about it! We are staying in the old Quarter of Hanoi and its great fun, the roads are mad, cant say they are worse than the Chinese as the roads are much much smaller. The people are really friendly and its great we dont get starred at here, woo hoo. Our hotel is nice, and the location is perfect.

Stu's hair was getting very curly, so i shaved it all off, his now got a No3 all over and the facial hair is coming along nicely, Sorry Sue and Dave(mum and dad), he made me do it! He still looks yummy!

We have wondered around,taking in the sights and people, food is good and drink nice and Cheap.

Kelly H: We found a bar which you would of loved..... $1 for a G&T!

We have just come back from Halong Bay, where we spent a night on a boat then the 2nd night in a hotel on Cat Ba Island. The views were amazing very much like Yangshou in China but with the South China Sea surrounding the Limestone rocks. Again we met some really nice people, and a mad Irish couple, made us laugh the whole of the 2 days with their stories.

We sunbathed on our own beach, swam, kayaking around the rocks and lagoons, through a tunnel and the meals were great washed down with yes you guessed it.......Hanoi Beer.

We leave for Ninh Binh tomorrow....more to follow

Enjoy the pics xxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

What a result!!What a result!!
What a result!!

Kelly H you would have loved it!!
AfterAfter
After

Nige/Rob. Where's a decent barber when you need one


13th May 2008

Nicky Clarke eat your heart out!
I am loving the hair cut - Lisa, I am sensing a new career for you when you get back!!! x
14th May 2008

Just seen your pics and text. Sounds and looks amazing. Will be following your further adventures every time I visit Sue. Lots of love.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb