Trekking through local villages


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
April 14th 2009
Published: April 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our entourageOur entourageOur entourage

We picked up quite a group of local woman who followed us from the drop off point until we had lunch. Here they tried to sell us there wares and then disappeared.

Monday 13th April



We were off just after 0930 with another couple and a guide for a trek starting about 5 kms out of town then through the hills, paddy fields and villages for about 10kms before being picked up and return to the hotel.

Our guide, Chee, set a very leisurely pace and both of us got a little frustrated at the many stops made for a rest. Even so, the views were worth the effort and we marveled at how the people had carved the rice levees into the side of the mountains.

We took many photos of the people we saw, the animals, and the scenery itself. Lunch was at Chee’s parent’s house, set in the middle of the rice on the side of a hill. This consisted of the ubiquitous french roll, ham, egg cucumber and tomato. (a picnic lunch brought from our hotel)

The final section was all downhill and we knew when we were getting closer when the sound of motorbikes came at us from all directions. The bus was waiting for us and we were back at the hotel by about 1500.

Nam had arranged for us to have
Rest stopsRest stopsRest stops

At the beginning of the trek our entourage kept stopping for rests but we were keen to keep going.
a shower and get changed on our return and we soon felt cool and clean if not recovered afterwards. We had about an hour to wait before the bus to take us to the train came and we took this opportunity to get the blog up to date. We couldn’t upload it as the Net was down.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

ChildrenChildren
Children

We met quite a few children on the way and even they had some little trinkets they tried to sell us.
BuffaloBuffalo
Buffalo

Buffalo are much used and valued by the local people. They are used to plough the rice paddies.
High School on the hillHigh School on the hill
High School on the hill

Apparently a lot more children are now attending school.


14th April 2009

Mountain Trek
Loved the pics., was disappointed when there were no more !!Did you buy anything from the children ? Tourists are probably the high point of their day ! Like the way the hills are carved out , very interesting. Luv Ya

Tot: 0.528s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 23; qc: 120; dbt: 0.1939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb